Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines DOx while on Bupropion

bratwurstzauber

Greenlighter
Hey bluelighters!

First, thank you for years of support while lurking around without an own account. 😇

Now, onto the question:

Suppose, there’s someone highly experienced with psychedelics but recently put on 150mg of Bupropion for depression. What implications are to be expected when taking a DOx substance then? DOC and DOM preferred.

As far as I read, Bupropion + psychedelics is considered relatively safe anecdotally. Except for their higher stimulation probably adding to the stimulation by the NDRI, is there any mechanism of action special to the DOx series that could lead to problematic side effects? Any knowledge or experiences?

Love,
bratwurst

I don't know much about the science of it, but this is a combo that I wouldn't be willing to try. I imagine that it wouldn't kill you. Bupropion is prone to jitteriness and vasoconstriction. I'm not very experienced with DOx. I have only done DOC and DOM one time each, but they both can cause some gnarly vasoconstriction. I don't remember much jitteriness with them but I suppose that it's possible. I imagine that the vasoconstriction would be pretty bad, depending on dose, but would it be to dangerous levels? I don't know. I think my main concern would be a seizure. I doubt that it'd happen, but it's possible. I think I'd be more worried about it being really uncomfortable than it being deadly.

If it we're me then I'd try to take at least a few days off of my Bupropion. When I was taking Bupropion I never noticed much WD effect if I just stopped. I'd feel a bit scattered and would have a hard time focusing, but nothing too bad.

I have taken other psychedelics and drugs with bupropion and the experience always feels somehow altered. You can feel the bupropion through the experience. It's not necessarily bad, but its different. I have used both shrooms and acid while on bupropion. I would not take my dose during the day but I would take it towards the end of the trip when I would start having a hard time focusing due to me not having had my bupropion.

Bupropion can worsen the physical side effects, but 150mg is a relatively low dose. I'd suggest just starting with low doses of DOxs before moving on to standard doses in order to gauge if the side effects are manageable for you.

I seemed to have worsened vasoconstriction from LSD when I was on Bupropion, but I could take MDMA and 2C-B (both phenethylamines) with no more physical side effects than without the Bupropion. And I took prescribed amphetamines semi-daily with it for years. So take that as you will.

Last edited:
I don't have a good feeling on this. Bupropion looks more noradrenergic than Effexor, and I didn't even like my blood pressure on Effexor + weed. Granted, others feel fine on that combo, but we're talking a psychedelic freakin' amphetamine, not weed.

And the problem is that even if you go slow but just overshoot only a little, you're stuck with pressurized plumbing for the duration of a whole bloody DOx trip..

I'd want downers on hand for this one.

Thank you all for your input!

The added vasoconstriction may make the combo very uncomfortable, guess you’re right with that - Pregabalin and Etizolam is available, Pregabalin would help with the seizure risk. Still, throwing another substance into the mix might not be the brightest idea…

I guess, SuperPsych’s idea of dropping the Bupropion for a couple days if possible sounds like the most reasonable plan. May the insight from beloved DOC help with depression, too. 😇

Again thank you all for replying, this was very helpful!

Thank you all for your input!

The added vasoconstriction may make the combo very uncomfortable, guess you’re right with that - Pregabalin and Etizolam is available, Pregabalin would help with the seizure risk. Still, throwing another substance into the mix might not be the brightest idea…

I guess, SuperPsych’s idea of dropping the Bupropion for a couple days if possible sounds like the most reasonable plan. May the insight from beloved DOC help with depression, too. 😇

Again thank you all for replying, this was very helpful!
Seizure risk is not very statistically significant with Bupropion at standard therapeutic dosages outside of the IR formation. If you’re on 150mg XL, your seizure risk is negligibly higher than the general unmedicated population.

A seizure here would follow from cerebral vasoconstriction. As long as you manage your veins you shouldn't have to worry about getting brain-zapped.

So consider adding vasodilators. Magnesium is a safe one (the glycinate or l-threonate version), and provides general neuroprotection on top. Also, CBD.. though I think its mechanism is more complex, I'd want to test it out on Bupropion solo first to get a feel. (There are others, but I'm not personally acquainted.)

Last edited:
A seizure here would follow from cerebral vasoconstriction. As long as you manage your veins you shouldn't have to worry about getting brain-zapped.

So consider adding vasodilators. Magnesium is a safe one (the glycinate or l-threonate version), and provides general neuroprotection on top. Also, CBD.. though I think its mechanism is more complex, I'd want to test it out on Bupropion solo first to get a feel. (There are others, but I'm not personally acquainted.)
I combined Magnesium Bisglycinate and CBD oil with bupropion for quite a while. I found them to reduce the body load from psychedelics and reduce the lingering side effects of the bupropion.

My opinion based on the one experience with DOC makes me think they all share the same nasty bodyload. Very like the 2c's. Excepting 2-CT-2.

Only way way longer.
Bupropion ime was a worthless med. But combining them sound's like it would add to the already bothersome effect's of the DO... 's.

I would wash the Bupropion out of your system beforehand just in case. Luckily it does seem devoid of severe WD's. But that might be my own personal chemistry.

Pregabalin would help with the seizure risk. Still, throwing another substance into the mix might not be the brightest idea…
Its an add on med for epileptic's. It doesn't preven seizure's sole.

In other words it wont prevent one by itself. Etizolam would be better suited for that purpose.