• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dosing Wellbutrin SR??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Am I correct in saying, Wellbutrin XR is a 24 hour effect?
SR is 8 hour?

I know with some drugs that are intended to be taken in split doses, clinical trials actually demonstrate there is no significant difference, when the dose is combined into one.
I'm curious as to whether this is the case with Wellbutrin SR, from anybodies experience or knowledge??
Well, it's actually Zyban - same thing.
Just got if off license cause Wellbutrin is not licensed in this country as an AD.

Some suggest the SR is actually more efficacious than XR.

I was non-responsive to serotonergics; they actually made me drowsy.

So, bupropion is reputed to be activating, which it has been so far.

A lot of the other noradrenergics are said to be somewhat sedating - such as nortriptyline.

Then reboxetine - which is said to be less effective than placebo according to clinical trials.
So it makes sense to stick with Wellbutrin for the moment, seems as I started it only a week ago.
Steady state is not reached until the end of week 2 apparently.

ATM I'm taking 2 150mg tablets.

I understand in the old days, it actually went up as high as 600mg total, so there is that possibility.
Taking mirtazapine in combination so, I don't think that should precipitate the reduction of the seizure threshold.

Any info, would be swell.

Well, they may be, but XL differs from them all.

PS - the marketing of Zyban differing from Wellbutrin and the associated cost is a marketing scam.
But let's not go off on that tangent.

Dosing SR once a day ultimately feasible in terms of intended outcome and final remission stats?

My GP scripted bupropion for me on the basis of clinical trial data I brought to him, as it's not licensed as an AD here.

My consultant said he would not take over the administration of bupropion for me under any circumstances.
Then he showed me the door.

So you'll excuse me if I have a waning faith in the opinion of the good doctors, that have been assigned to me at least.

I figure, if you guys can openly discuss how to use bupropion to get high, you can surely discuss what is considered a reasonable therapeutic dose.

Indications are that, glaxosmithkleine reduced the dose to 300mg to avoid law suit claims for seizure induction.
But previous to that, i believe the standard therapeutic dose was 450mg - and could be pushed as high as 600mg...?
Which some doctors still do, apparently.

I wouldnt take ik any higher than 300 if you go higher the risk of a seizure or bp issues dramatically increases

When companies say X amount is an okay dosage and in reality something like Tramadol, ends up proven to have safety issues , the stated dosage and actual safe dosages are two different things.

When handling dosing advice(theoretical suggestions) it is better to err on the side of caution.

This goes for any medication, especially medications with a track record for negative side effects.

Last edited: