Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Dosing subs and getting things wrong

losthippy

Bluelighter
Recently I managed to source enough dried subs to last me a long, long while. At last! I'm closer to 70 now than 60, and up until I was 50-ish used to trip properly a few times a year on acid or shrooms and MDMA when I could get it.
By 'trip properly' I mean ticking the set and setting box and taking charge of small details to enhance the experience. I like to dose on an empty stomach and know exactly what it is and how much of it I'm taking. I figured a night time trip would do and 3 grams of these subs would be interesting after a 10 year hiatus, but things turned out a bit differently.
First up, I dropped a coffee mug from height onto my point scale and smashed the display so I couldn't read it. Plan B was a shitty kitchen scale (rookie error) that weighed in gram increments. I'd chopped up big handful of stems and caps and spent time trying to get a consistent looking 3 gram pile, but the scale kept giving me what looked to be different amounts. In the end I made and 'weighed' 3 piles, chose the second biggest and put the other 2 in separate jars to weigh later, when I got another decent scale. I steeped my dose in lemon juice and necked it 20 minutes later.
I'm in a rural setting with no neighbours so cranking my tunes is no issue. Reclined in a dark candle-lit room to Page and Plant Unledded cranked up on my fat screen. A few songs in I felt the sweaty palms and went off for a hot shower which felt excellent. By the time I sat down again I was a yawning couch-locked passenger and the OE visuals morphed perfectly with the music. For the next hour or so I vaped (nicotine) and tapped cones of sativa bud and drank sweet green tea. I was stunned, in a grinning good way. Unledded finished and I put on Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's. Another hour in and the trip seemed to get stronger/deeper, spiking with every cone. I needed to move but struggled to get out of my chair. Balance was wonky and I felt like I was gliding over the carpet. Time for an adventure.
Outside with the torch in the paddock under a brilliant starry sky. Zero light pollution. Switched off the light and blended into the darkness, So many bats and owls and critters you'd never know were there. My visual acuity seemed especially sharp.
On the way back to my house I felt myself getting gradually weaker and my energy seemed to be draining out of me. This was around the four hour mark. I managed to put a pre-made sandwich into the toaster and swapped out Jeff Beck for Powaqqatsi while I waited. Dumb move. That shit bent me out of shape and I found it incredibly hard to stand up... it was almost painful. A whole skull headache was setting in and I scarcely had the energy to get to the kitchen but absolutely had to to switch off the sandwich toaster. Hunger was the last thing on my mind by then. Almost there but I had to ease myself down onto the floor. I'd lost all strength and in the end wound up belly down on the tiles. I was sweating and freaking out that the toaster might catch fire and burn my house down around me if I didn't switch it off. I laid there almost paralysed for what seemed like hours, My head was throbbing and I thought I could smell smoke. After eventually crawling to the toaster I was greatly relieved to see no smoke and a perfectly cooked sambo - about 5 minutes it would have taken to cook.
By now, I had no appetite at all. My head was pounding, I was drenched in sweat and I felt blinding pressure behind my eyes. All I could do was crawl my way to bed where I lay in the dark under siege from swirling colourless shapes with both open and closed eyes. I just wanted it all to be over. The physical sensation was akin to the worst hangover I've ever had, x10. Eventually, I must have passed out.
When I came to it was around 9AM. The headache was almost gone but my eyes were still achy. I felt fatigued and vacant, but the cobwebs started to clear once I got some water and food in. By noon I was coherent but a bit disconcerted by how much this particular shroom experience knocked me around. I had my suspicions as to why.
A week later I got another point scale and weighed up my 2 reserved batches. The smaller looking pile came in at 5.5 grams and the other at 6.9, so what I had dosed was likely 6+ grams when I'd planned for 3. I measured up some pre- packaged herbs of known quantities as a guide and found the bogus scale constantly in error by around 50%.. I took that scale out to a stump in the paddock reserved for alarm clocks and other devices that have let me down over the years and blew that fucker apart with my 12 gauge. Perhaps a bit of spite there, too.
My take-home messages from this experience were that while fasting before dosing does enable the full potential of any narcotic substance, which is desirable, mind and body need food for energy and healthy neural responses to happen. I'd barely eaten on the day and aside from dinking green tea had consumed nothing of any calorific value. I used up all my reserves, and then some.
More importantly, if in doubt about dosage, reschedule till you are sure you're taking the correct amount. I only had myself to blame this time, and the shrooms taught me not to be cavalier with them or my prepping in the future.
Apols for the wordiness. Stay safe.