View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Doing Ibogaine alone

StanleyJobson

Ex-Bluelighter
I've been interested in doing Ibogaine for a little while now, but every place that offers it wants at the minimum $3500, and up to about $7000, not even including airfare. Obviously, that's not something I want to do.

I'm not opposed to doing it at my place, and I'm rather against the idea of a babysitter, since I don't like being babysat. Has anyone here ingested Ibogaine and tripped alone? I'm not concerned with dying so much as I am with not being able to get food/water if I ran out or something, or couldn't move.

DO NOT under any circumstances do a flood dose of ibogaine alone! You absolutely have to have constant supervision for 3 days (the peak effects). You will be utterly unable to take care of yourself. Trust me, as someone who has done a flood dose at home... I had supervision sometimes (the first 12 hours and periodically thereafter), and I got into some serious issues because I thought I was with it but in fact I was completely out of it. It doesn't matter how good you are at taking care of yourself on psychedelics. Ibogaine is different. Please heed my warning. I nearly lost my job and I could have hurt or killed myself or others. I may have driven, or that may have been a dream. I did talk to my neighbor, fortunately he's cool but he considered calling an ambulance because I was so incoherent (I remember this and I thought I was coherent). This was on the third day. Had I wandered farther, I could have easily ended up arrested, hurt, or institutionalized temporarily. Also on the evening of the 3rd day (a full 72 hours after taking it), I went over to a friend's house (he was my supervision and came to get me after I emailed my boss thinking I needed to tell him about the ibogaine) and I thought I was fine and hanging out normally but in fact 2 of my friends were literally scared I was acting so crazy and the rest had no idea what I was talking about... basically I thought I was there but 2/3 of the time I was dreaming while awake and interacting with the world based on my dreams, and not based on reality. I had no awareness of this at the time whatsoever.

I'm a person who handles their drugs well, I have had +3 trips at work before and been totally fine. But ibogaine is a different beast.

A lower dose is different, you can take lower doses on your own as you will be coherent when you are up and moving. But on a flood dose you will be more out of it than you've ever been in your life, and you will not realize that you are.

Read my report for more info... really long but worth reading if you're going to do ibogaine: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/723353-Ibogaine-(flood-dose)-First-Time-Into-The-Flood

You don't need a babysitter per se, you just need someone to corral you once you start getting up and moving. Had I had someone to stop me from going outside alone, emailing my boss, possibly driving, etc, I wouldn't have had any negative ramifications whatsoever from doing it at home. I recommend ibogaine at home but only with proper supervision and planning. Don't think of it as a babysitter that your ego thinks you don't need, think of it as proper precautions for undergoing an experience that is life-transforming and that will be the most intense and overwhelming thing you've ever done. Ibogaine is unlike anything else. You don't retain awareness that you're on a drug, and in that way it's sort of like datura (but it's nothing like datura in effect, just in that way). At least, that was my experience. If you do it alone at home, you may end up with serious or life-threatening consequences.

I also can't recommend strongly enough taking your dose as a mixture of TA extract and pure ibogaine HCl... the other alkaloids in the plant (that the TA extract has) make the difference between a comfortable, fully immersive and relaxing feeling trip and a jangly, painful, stimulating trip.

Last edited:
That is a very long trip report. I read the email to the boss, which had me cracking up. The last sentence is kind of sad, though.

How long ago did you take it, and how have its anti-addiction properties worked for you? I've made my opinions on 12-step meetings known here before, which is basically that I'd rather kill myself than subscribe to their paradigm that we are disease-ridden individuals that need to go to meetings for the rest of our lives. Shitty as hell. A few years ago I was on baclofen for a year, and that worked out great, but I'd rather be med free.

I plan on continuing my work with ayahuasca, and also trying Ibogaine. I'll be doing the TA, since it's about half the price of the HCL

You need to take like 200% more of the TA but it's important IMO (as I said), better to do all TA than no TA.

Ibogaine worked amazingly for me. I'm 4.5 months out and I feel cured of opiate addiction. It feels like it erased that from my brain chemistry. I'll never touch an opiate again, but I feel good about that. In all honesty I haven't had a single craving since. I've also gotten into good shape, been eating well ever since, and have generally gotten my life together significantly. Nothing else I've ever had has been so dramatically helpful in altering my behavior. It's like it did it for me, and then I really liked that so I stuck with it. I believe I will look back many years from now and divide my life into pre- and post-ibogaine.

I still have an addictive personality but I have this overriding ability to keep myself in check. And it seemed to literally erase opiate dependency from my brain. I had no PAWS at all after a 10 year addiction, and it's not a battle for me to stay off opiates - it's just the way I am now. I can't recommend it enough for addiction for those who have tried and failed many times. But I also can't stress enough not to do it unsupervised, seriously.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO DO NOT EVER DO IBOGAINE ALONE EVER.

It's not about being babysat. They're not going to sit and watch you writhe on the bed for 36 hours. They'll just be available if you do need them, and they'll check up on you from time to time.

Find someone to do it. Anyone is better than no one. I had an old friend sit for me, and even though he had never done the substance, he was experienced with others, and was invaluable to helping me through my experience.

Have you tried ayahuasca Stan? Or at least oral DMT and moclobemide?

Have you tried ayahuasca Stan? Or at least oral DMT and moclobemide?

I went down to SA this summer for an ayahuasca retreat, where I was also introduced to San Pedro. Due to past experiences, they didn't let people go off by themselves during either ceremony, and actually made you sign a contract saying you wouldn't leave the group. One of the things that I realized, and I realized that I lost this value from childhood, is that I absolutely value my independence, and being able to do what I want, when I want.

I've done several San Pedro "ceremonies" since I've returned, and am about to do a solo ayahuasca 'ceremony' this week. If I were to ask someone to watch over me, I'd need a better reason than just to make sure I don't die, which I'm sure won't happen, and am not worried if it were to happen. What concrete reasons besides that are there to have a sitter?

I'd consider doing ayahuasca alone (never done it so the first time I wouldn't just in case, but I'm sure I'd be totally fine if I did), and mescaline alone is no problem whatsoever, nor is any other psychedelic I can think of. Except ibogaine. Never, never would I do that alone. When I did it I had far too much alone time and I would NEVER do it again without constant supervision for 3 days.

I have provided plenty of concrete reasons in this thread and none of them are to make sure you don't die. Re-read my posts if you didn't internalize that. And read my whole story I linked to, if you need more detail. Ibogaine is different from other things. It has nothing to do with independence. It has everything to do with the fact that you WILL NOT be able to take care of yourself or understand what you are really doing once you start to move around and interact with the world. It has nothing to do with having a strong mind. It's just what happens with an ibogaine flood dose. I would (and do) take just about anything without a sitter or someone else around, but I would NEVER do it with ibogaine, ever. Even with partial supervision I managed to get into some dodgy situations that almost cost me my job and my life or the lives of others, while believing I was in control of myself and making sound decisions, during the periods of time I had no supervision.

Like RhythmSpring said, it's not like your sitter will be sitting there watching you constantly. But having them there when you start to get up and interact with the world is necessary because your waking reality will mix with your dreams/visions and you might decide you need to go outside and talk to your neighbor, and the reason for this makes sense to you at the time, but little did you realize that neighbor is not in fact the person you're thinking they are but someone who will freak out at your lack of coherence and call the cops. You might think you have come back to reality completely and that you need to drive somewhere because you have to meet someone, but in reality you're nowhere close to back and you're in a dream where you are supposed to meet someone, and you end up driving and crashing into someone, or getting pulled over.

These are just examples. You may think this won't happen to you but it very well might, and for sure you will not understand what is really happening to you in the real world while your awareness blends with your visions.

Heed my words, this is a warning... I'm being very serious. You seem pretty set on doing it alone and as I see it your reasons are entirely egoic, related to ideas of being independent and capable. These ideas don't apply to ibogaine. If not for your own sake, and the sake of others you may inadvertently hurt, then for the sake of ibogaine itself, do not do this. All we need is someone causing chaos in the world on ibogaine, as ibogaine becomes more and more well-known as a powerful medicine, to set us back several steps on the road to legitimacy. I have a strong mind and have never felt uncapable on any other psychedelic as far as taking care of myself... but ask any of my friends who saw me on that third day after taking it... I was in no shape to even interact with them superficially, let alone take care of myself. But I thought I was. I've never been so wrong in my life. This is just what happens with a flood dose of ibogaine, it's no reflection on my character, or yours. You take a flood dose of ibogaine and you have to accept that you will not be able to function in any way that is conducive to being unsupervised.

Last edited:
Xorkoth... holy shit that trip report. What an experience. Thanks for documenting that.

You're welcome. :) It was a lot of work to write but it had to be done.

What are the ceremonies with other people like Stan? Are they sort of guiding the trip? What if you feel like laughing your bollocks off and someone else is sat there feeling upset? Is it frowned upon? I think I'd have trouble keeping up that pretence when I was tripping.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd like to take ayahuasca, whenever I finally do that, with a group... maybe one good friend, or by myself.

I wouldn't want to take ibogaine with someone else either, that is, with us both tripping, but I would never do it without someone close by (not watching me like a hawk but just available) to make sure I'm not doing something dangerous though. Much different from tripping with someone.

I hope you don't decide to go through with doing it alone Stanley, I really, really do. For your sake and for the sake of the community. I think I've said all I can on the subject though so it's in your hands now.

I doubt I'll do a flood dose by myself. I'm actually having second thoughts on doing ayahuasca by myself, but I think I'll get over that. Psychs in general have just seemed like a big turn-off lately. Mushrooms seem to be telling me to leave them alone, and I'm not too excited about the cactus I have, either. I'm sure there's a reason for all this, like removing the power that psychs have over me, or some lesson about attachment. Actually, shrooms keep telling me to stay away from all illegal drugs because of the war on drugs, and I don't want to get (more) caught up in that. It can be so weird dealing with entheogens, because people have very strong opinions on them, and how they should be treated, and used, and under what circumstances and with what intentions. Kind of a turn-off, really.