View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dogs, puppies, and psilocybin ... shrooms

jnunez10

Greenlighter
As with humans, animals all react differently with hallucinogens. Moreover, especially if ingested by accident, the experience can be very traumatic for the animals, sometimes changing them for life.. I recommend inducing vomiting to avoid mental distress and poisoning, especially if its a large dose or with small dogs--with either seizures and coma have been reported. Either way, care for the dog the way you would for a friend that is on a bad trip, few loud noises, lots of love and affection, soothing words, warmth, water.

Two puppies, each two months old and less than 10 lbs, or 4 kilos, together ate 2 grams of mushrooms that they found in a pack of seeds that was unfortunately in the puppies' reach. After research, I induced vomiting by putting a little less than one teaspoon (4.5 ml) of table salt on the back of each of their tongues. (the amount is dictated by their size and if you sweeze on the back of their jaw, they have to open their mouths). I did this one at a time with the pups initially separated. The first pup took about 2 or 3 minutes to throw up. She was scared and shivering afterwards and I petted her and told her it was ok the whole time. The second pup I did the same to, without separating the pups, and the second pup took less time to puke. I let them both puke until they were done and the mushrooms were definitely there.

Afterwards, I brought them inside. The smaller pup was trembling and didn't want to be outside of human contact. The bigger pup was full of energy and wanted to bite at my hand a lot. I let her do so while the smaller pup was curled on my lap. I stroked them and said everything's going to be fine, with no loud music on and the heater on (it's the middle of winter.) About an hour after this happened, the bigger pup was calmer but wanted to be caressed and held as well. They were both scared and appeared to not know what was happening to them. I sat on the floor and let them both curl in my lap and they slept for a little bit. I gave them water about 2 hours after the initial vomiting and they really appreciated it. About 3 hours after the incident, they were back to almost normal but still wanted to be close by me. They got fed and ate ravenously. It is now 4 hours after the incident and they are both sleeping on my lap. Ill keep them close by and monitored for the next day or so, and hope that they will be ok.

Unfortunately this does happen from time to time but it shouldn't cause any permanent damage other than maybe a little bit of emotional trauma. Sounds like you dealt with it well. Hopefully they'll forget it ever happened in a year or two.

Hmm, this is a very interesting post. I'm really glad you took the approach you did, and it's clear you've done a good job comforting them :)

I hope they aren't too traumatised after the incident, though from your post I feel they'll be fine :)

In October, 2010 I made a batch of Marijuana cookies using abv (already been vaped), i.e. vaped bud. It was a 44 cookie batch using ~65g of bud. I mad them, and placed them on a ledge in my sun room to cool down.

And forgot about them until I went to check a few hours later. Tray was knocked or moved around a bit and 3 cookies were missing. My ex's 80lb 3yr old male Golden retriever just propped himself on his back feet and stole 3 cookies. About 4.5 grams of vaped bud

About 2-3 hours later, the dog could barely walk a straight line, eyes were bloodshot and would stand in one spot and just look right through you. We kept him hydrated, took his temperature every now and then and made sure things were quiet. About 4 hours after eating the cookies, he couldn't stand so we picked him up and placed him on the couch. He tried to sit up, failed and fell on his face. At this point, he was down for the count for 48 hours. Extremely lethargic and his tail would barely wag when you called his name.

Aftre 24 hours he could open his eyes and look at you, but couldn't follow commands or stand up. After 48 hours improvement was rapid and almost complete. He was still rather uncoordinated when walking (and would bump into things). Appetite and thirst were normal.

Odd thing is that the other dogs and cats left him completely alone while he was recovering.

Tom

Once I made some mj - butter extract to make cookies with . After I was done I tossed the green stuff , still dripping with butter out into the garden , and sorta buried it a bit ....unfortunately not well enough .....

My young dog found it , dug it up , and pigged out without anyone realizing so . later the dog was virtually comatose , and unable to be woken from his stupor ....
The first reaction was " snake bite " [ common problem where we live ] ; so off we rush to the vet for an anti - venom needle - $ 300 !!

So the vet concurs , and administers the needle , and keeps the dog for observation on his premises . Later the vet phones and advises that the dog is vomiting up green material , and he is going to send a sample off for analysis ....

It was then that the penny dropped , and we understood what had occurred . We hurry off to vet , and truthfully explain what had clearly transpired ....
The vet was quite amused by it all , and thankfully had not sent away the vomit yet for analysis , so all was cool .
But in the end it sure cost me a bundle !!

They wouldve easily been able to tell if it was a snake bite by running labs on the dog. they just wanted to charge you 300