• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine does Zyprexa neutralize crack?

xtcgrrrl

Sr. Moderator: SLR
Staff member
hey guys, simple question. got no benzos for the comedown off crack so will Zyprexa (olanzapine) do the trick?

Alpha blocker and strong anti-histamine. Yup.

It'll shut your high right off though.

thanks. Trying to sleep and don't care to be high anymore. Appreciate the speedy reply.

yeah, those atypical antipsychotics(and probably traditional antipsychotics, but I've no experince with those) are hands down the best drugs for obliterating a stim high and letting one sleep. I was just talking about this in another thread.

ok and a follow up question - how long does it take until the neutralizing effects of the medication wears off? In case, for example, in my case I've just taken 7.5 mgs (what I'm prescribed) and I have to be able to wake up in the morning and for this purpose I have set aside some drugs. But I will restrain myself from taking them if they would have no or less effect. Any ideas?

The half life is around 24 hours, so it'll still be chugging away in the morning. You'll probably be pretty groggy, and another bump wont help much. In fact, don't do it (the bump), since the alpha block could wear off while you're still tweaking and shoot you into hypertension problems.

Can you explain what you mean by alpha block wearing off? Thank you.

Meth and amph [edit: and coke and crack too!] work like adrenaline (and other things). They cause adrenaline to be released, and the adrenaline and even amphs themselves, activate adrenaline receptors (this is simplified a bit).

There are different kinds of adrenaline receptor, in two classes, the alphas, and the betas. Each has a bunch of subtypes, alpha1, alpha2, etc. They're called adrenergic receptors.

Activating them does the stuff you're used to with adrenaline and stims: raise your heart rate, BP, constrict your veins, raise your temp, open your airways, make you sweat.

You probably heard of beta-blockers. Those are drugs that block the action of adrenaline, helping you relax. They slow your heart rate and lower blood pressure. There are alpha blockers that do similar things.

And a lot of psych meds block these receptors as a side effect.

If you take a drug like quetiapine cause you were too spun on meth, it would kill your high, and lower the stim-y effects. But it lasts 24 hours. If you took a nap, woke up, and felt groggy, you might do some more stim to wake up. Only it would feel like it's not quite working. So you do a lot more stim, and just feel a bit more awake, so you really load that bowl and go to town, finally feeling kind of high. Until the quetiapine finally wears off, and all that meth you took finally hits your heart, which starts racing in an unpleasant and dangerous way.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Meth and amph work like adrenaline (and other things). They cause adrenaline to be released, and the adrenaline and even amphs themselves, activate adrenaline receptors (this is simplified a bit).

There are different kinds of adrenaline receptor, in two classes, the alphas, and the betas. Each has a bunch of subtypes, alpha1, alpha2, etc. They're called adrenergic receptors.

Activating them does the stuff you're used to with adrenaline and stims: raise your heart rate, BP, constrict your veins, raise your temp, open your airways, make you sweat.

You probably heard of beta-blockers. Those are drugs that block the action of adrenaline, helping you relax. They slow your heart rate and lower blood pressure. There are alpha blockers that do similar things.

And a lot of psych meds block these receptors as a side effect.

If you take a drug like quetiapine cause you were too spun on meth, it would kill your high, and lower the stim-y effects. But it lasts 24 hours. If you took a nap, woke up, and felt groggy, you might do some more stim to wake up. Only it would feel like it's not quite working. So you do a lot more stim, and just feel a bit more awake, so you really load that bowl and go to town, finally feeling kind of high. Until the quetiapine finally wears off, and all that meth you took finally hits your heart, which starts racing in an unpleasant and dangerous way.

Hope that helps.
Scrofula that was great advice & very informative but I think you forgot she's talking about cocaine, crack to be specific which that mechanism of action doesn't apply here, but still a good read.

Scrofula that was great advice & very informative but I think you forgot she's talking about cocaine, crack to be specific which that mechanism of action doesn't apply here, but still a good read.

Nope, it applies just as well to crack and powder, amphetamine paste, Adderall, substituted things like 4-FMA, probably MDPV, khat . . .

Coke and meth/amphs has the same MOA, by the way, coke just has some additional effects. Crack is unique mostly for its usual vaped form and cocaine in general for its very short half-life (compared to a marathon meth session). Each of them is a dopamine releaser and sympathomimetic.

Even MDMA, which is NOT a dopamine releasing agent, it dumps serotonin instead, has metabolites that are sympathomimetic, meaning stimulant, and shouldn't be combined with an alpha-blocking or beta-blocking drug until you are already coming down.

Basically, any drug at all that increases heart rate.

Crack is less likely to be a problem, but its stimulant metabolites still last a long time. Yeah, I said don't take a bump in the morning cause you might still be tweaking when it wears off, getting these threads confused. But it still applies, coke redoses in twenty minutes, but its not like you come down in an hour, it takes a while.

EDIT: for the pedants, there are detailed differences between cocaine and meth/amphs method of action, but in terms of antipsychotics and come-downs and alpha and beta blockers, no difference.

Last edited:
How long does it block drugs for? I’ve been on 10mg for around 3 years and my doc took me off of it and I’m now free from anti psychotics and anti depressants. How long after stopping olanzapine will it take till trips and euphoria come back? I know it’s out of your body at 7-10 days but idk about the dopamine and serotonin levels and how long the receptors are going to be blocked for. Can’t find an answer anywhere.