• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Does Weed Affect Overall Health?

thegreatgadzby

Greenlighter
While I regularly smoke weed once or twice a week, I am a college athlete and I care about my health (I eat right, lift often and try to maintain low body fat %.) With that being said, does smoking weed a few times a week affect lung health and conditioning?

there really is not a lot of research on this matter right now i do not think. this will be a hard question to answer.

for the most part, in comparison to other drugs you probably have nothing to worry about besides the obvious effect it has on lungs.

i've heard some say weed increases blood flow and have heard some say it cuts off O2 supply because of the tar.

if you figure it's affecting you then the obvious thing to do is to quit and focus on your training and whatnot but for the most part if you're taking care of your health otherwise then you're probably good.

if you switched to vaporization and edibles (which can both be more potent) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about :).

Once or twice a week shouldn't cause any problems. Your lungs will be fine at that level of use. Also smoking only once a week should mean your tolerance is low enough to where you would only need 1 hit of good weed to get high from. Thats not exposing the lungs to much smoke.

Smoking weed or cigarettes involves combustion of said substances, combustion genrally leads to carcinogenic substances being inhaled. Granted tobacco is dabbed with plenty of chemicals, it is more harmful to your lungs than smoking herb. But smoking herb is the same, it leaves dirt in your lungs but much less so than tobacco. If you are worried about your lungs, use a vaporizer or just cook it in butter or oil, then make edibles. The edibles are probably the healthiest way to consume THC.

Granted tobacco is dabbed with plenty of chemicals, it is more harmful to your lungs than smoking herb.

depending on where the nugs came from, the same could be said for herb :(

but yeah, inhaling smoke is never healthy. the cilia that cleans your lungs is sensitive and pounding them with smoke twice a week is not giving them much opportunity to do their jobs effectively.

edibles would be a healthier choice.

Personally, no. I've been a daily toker since college, I'm in my 30s now and have held down a career as a Geologist since then. I only smoke at night though on weekdays. On weekends I'm high constantly.

I'm in a state where medical use is legal, and I have my card. My doctors know I smoke and have never had a problem with it. I've been a competitive weight lifter for about 8 years, and an all around fitness type person. Weed has never impacted my health negatively.

Well burning any plant mater and inhaling the smoke is probably going to be harmful to your lung health but at least we know that there is no causal link between cannabis smoking and lung cancer specifically like there is with cigarette smoking and lung cancer. That being said it makes far more sense to use a vaporizer to vape buds or to vape oil using a vaporizer with an oil attachment because your're not producig toxic substances like polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or tar.

You should be weary of cannabis dependency even tough it's not on the same level as other drugs or alcohol (which is a drug itself). Some people develop some low grade withdrawal symptoms like a loss of appetite or anxiety and cravings for more cannabis. Most people can handle it though so I don't want to scare you away.

Everything carries some sort of risk; modest weed use that level of risk is probably below the risk of most sports imo