• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Does Valium wear off quickly for anyone else?

goedman

Greenlighter
Went back on Valium today, 2mg dosage, as needed. Haven't had it for about a year, probably longer.

Does anyone else find that Diazepam wears off stupidly quickly, like within a couple of hours, and that the come down is horrendous. Irritable, sad, and dread occurs relatively soon after taking the meds. Last time it wasn't like this at all, it just kept me relaxed for several hours, and I had no irritability.

I took 4mg firstly, I hadn't slept last night and I had an empty stomach, so the effects hit me pretty quickly and hardly - that drunk feeling. Soon wore off, and I went irritable as hell, easily triggered and sensitive. Took another two about 9pm, it's 11:30pm now and I'm feeling horrendous.

I don't want to go through all 28 of my tablets too quick, so does anyone have some advice on how to make it last? I'm feeling terrible :(

happy new year.

^Before I had mental issues - anxiety/panic attack, depression etc - ANY benzo made me feel anxious and irritable and just basically horrible, dreaded the things. I was a high dose IV meth/speed abuser for over a decade and only once or twice took benzos and I absolutely fucking hated them even then, much preferred to smoke weed on the few times I actually came down from stimulant abuse.

Nowadays - I love benzos especially diazepam, not for any high because I still don't really find them recreational (except 90mgs of Oxamzepam makes me feel great!) but managing anxiety and panic attacks is as good as any high to me these days. I don't take much but the 10mgs of Valium that I am going to take in a couple of hours will be a God send.

When you have nothing else, 2mg is way better then nothing. Keep doing what your doing. Use the least amount needed as needed. For me, if I'm under dosed, can cause trouble. 5 mg pills are not bad, but if you can make 2mg's work, go for it.

I didn't know Valium came in 2 mg pills? Are you positive they're diazepam/Valium? Those generally come in 5, 10, 15 mg tabs. Just wondering if you have clonazepam, alprazolam, lorazepam instead? Those are usually prescribed in 2 mg levels.

I didn't know Valium came in 2 mg pills? Are you positive they're diazepam/Valium? Those generally come in 5, 10, 15 mg tabs. Just wondering if you have clonazepam, alprazolam, lorazepam instead? Those are usually prescribed in 2 mg levels.

Ive seen 2.5 mg valiums in detox

Oh, that makes sense, 2.5 mg for detox. I stand corrected! Those would be helpful for tapering super gently and stepping off at a reasonable dose. The more you know!

Yep, definitely Valium. Diazepam it is. Is this dosage really that weak?

It's not helping my anxiety much at all, I've had 8 tablets since 11 AM yesterday (it's 3 AM now). I'm scared to have anymore because my doc will probably think I'm abusing them and stop prescribing them, despite the apparent low dosage.

Thanks for the replies btw

I know diazepam is supposed to have a long half life, but I do agree with the OP here. I noticed for me, the diazepam would kick in quickly and feel great, but its high/anti-anxiety effects would disappear almost as quickly as they came on. I thought it was just me and my metabolism. And I would think 2.5 mg is a small dose. A recreational amount for me would be 20 mgs or so. I would tell yo doc that what you've said on here. Maybe that its antianxiety affects are diminished quickly and maybe he will up the dose or switch to a different benzo ;)

I know diazepam is supposed to have a long half life

Technically Diazepam's half-life isn't particularly long, just a few hours. Its metabolite Nordazepam (Desmethyl-Diazepam) is where the 100+ hour elimination half-life comes from; however, Nordazepam is only like half as potent as Diazepam.

Yes I get the 5mgs here in Oz, but they are definitely sold as a 2mg pill too in Australia.

I am not a MD but Valium I believe is the shortest acting benzo. Klonopin is the longest and also has the longest half life.

Damn, ha yeah benzos are obviously not my strong point. I use klonopin and xanax often, but opiates are my DOC. Maybe I should not post if I'm not 100%, I thought I was close though. Haha sorry about the misinformation. That explains why it wears off so quickly when I use it. Glad this wasn't a life threatening post, I will remember this in the future in case I want to post without knowing something fully. Fer reel

The primary effects wear off after a few hours for me. Then the more subtle anxiolytic effects stick around for a long time. I assume this is due to the metabolites. Diazepam has the longest half life of the commonly rx'd benzodiazepines but its effects don't seem as constant as other long acting ones like clonazepam. And yeah I know people that are prescribed those 2mg pills. Wish I had the tolerance for that shit. They're equivalent to like 0.1mg of clonazepam/alprazolam haha.