• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does tolerance really reset after long absistence?

champagnencocaine

Greenlighter
On here there's a thread which says amphetamine takes 14 days to reset tolerance, but in my experience if you've been using for a while your tolerance will never go back to what it was like when you first started, i've taken around a year break from this stuff, while it does take me less to get somewhat high than when using, the high that was originally there isn't.

I think that this is bad because the info is false, when I started this I thought you could reset tolerance if you took a little break but it led me going down a bad path because reality is once you've used and abused enough you won't get the old tolerance back regardless, the magic that was originally there doesn't come back - that is empathy etc (stage 1).

https://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/461215-Amphetamine-The-Drug-You-Learn-to-Hate

Neither do you get the headrush back, this went ages ago, that when you sniff a line you get a huge buzz, it just makes me think drugs are actually bad, if it was the case that you could reset tolerance with a few weeks of absistence this stuff would be good, but once it stops working you can't get it back, shame.

I thought originally that if you had knowledge of using drugs you wouldn't ever have a problem, and that people only view drugs as bad because they've been stigmatized against, reality is it stops working eventually.

You wont ever reach baseline ever again first of all because as in everything in life after the first time your experiences will be different, the first times come with the excitement with the unknown and expectation, after the first times when you become accustomed to the drug mentally you get to know it and it will never be as novel or as exciting as before, as far as biological tolerance, after some time of abstinence of all drugs your body can get near baseline but you will never really in my experience fully reset tolerance to any drug, what those 14 days mean is that its the period of time necesarry to lower your biological tolerance to the drug as far as it will ever reset, if you wait more time its even better, to beat the mental tolerance too.

Yup drugs will never be the same as they were in the beginning because a big part of drugs is experiencing the discovery of the unknown, suddenly feeling a way you didn't even know was possible to feel before, etc. Once you are experienced with a particular drug, even after a long break, it will not be the same as it was in the beginning because the experience will be in some way or other, familiar. I believe long term physiological tolerance is possible also, in the sense that like with opiates for example, if you had a habit and then got clean for a while and then start using again you will develop a habit again more quickly than a naive user.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean a tolerance break won't bring back some of the initial pleasure of the drug but 14 days is a ridiculously short time. It takes months/years to really reset tolerance to a drug you have abused. Some drugs also seem to have more longevity to them than others. For example, when I started using crack a lot it was good for about 6 months. After that time, the high changed and the come down, which was always bad, became almost unbearable and nowhere near worth the high. Even after not smoking crack for many months, when I'd try it again, it was nothing like my initial experiences and just not worth it. Other substances like kratom for example, still give me some pleasant effects even after several years of abuse.

Last edited: