• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does Taking an Especially Large Amount Right Before Quitting Delay the Onset of Withdrawal?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Normally, I'll start to feel withdrawal within 6-8 hours of my last dose and have very definite, noticeable symptoms after about 12.
Recently, I've been taking (a combination of Codeine, Dihydrocodeine and Morphine that adds together to the equivalent of) around 150mg Morphine a day.
During the last 10 hours before I quit I had maybe 180mgs.

I'm currently 23 hours into cold turkey (nothing at all, not even co-codamol) and had ZERO withdrawal symptoms until an hour ago. And those I do have only slight shaking and mild anxiety, which tbh could be caffeine-induced and not even opioid WD. I also am awaiting a new glucose sensor and currently don't have a way to test my blood sugar (insulin-dependant diabetic) so I could be a little hypoglycemic*.

Could the lack of withdrawal be caused by the unusually large amount I had right before?

*Severe hypoglycemia has a LOT of overlap with withdrawal: shaking, trembling, nausea, profuse sweating, anxiety, weakness, tachycardia

I think it might delay the withdrawal but that’s it. But idk much. Just my personal experience.

Yeah, I was experiencing restlessness, diarrhoea, cold sweats etc by 26 hours. Took 90mg Codeine and starting to feel better. Still gonna try and only take a little and only when I HAVE to. I'm not trying to get sober, but I have only a 3 day supply (of what I usually take) to last either 6 days or 8 days (depending when my script comes) and don't wanna be in a situation when I have NO emergency supply for like 4 days running.

Yes a single large dose will make the withdrawal come on more gradually and slowly.

Of the issue is conserving a small amount for a large amount of days though I would just take as little as possible to stay well; not take them all in one big dose and expect that to hold you.