• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin does storing heroin in water make it less potent?

slortaone

Bluelighter
i read, i believe somewhere on this site that it does/can. im talking about leaving it in a clean syringe with just water to use 24 to 48 hours later.

it doesn't seem like it would but no harm in asking right? is this an issue, will it become less potent some how?

thank you very much.

Someone studied physics and could explain how fast 1g of Heroin becomes morphine and at what speed (mol water/mol heroin/speed of reaction) ?

Yes, heroin in water becomes morphine if you give it enough time. it's called hydrolisis.

Thus, it shouldn't lose much potency
, but will turn more acidic which might cause the solution to clog your blood.

If it is however cut with either fentanyl or carfentanyl, especially the latter, then yes, it will become less potent. (Same principle)

thanks, i was going to halve what i have and have the other half tomorrow or the next day but i think ill reconsider until someone that may know a little more can chime in

thanks for posting what you know Gaffy.

if anyone else knows a little more itd be much appreciated.

but will turn more acidic which might cause the solution to clog your blood.

pH changes/extremes doesn't "clod your blood". It may be painful to inject though.

Heroin in solution does hydrolyse to some extent, being more rapid at higher temperatures and more alkaline pH. In general it decomposes first to 6-monoacetylmorphine, which is the active metabolite of heroin formed in the body, before becoming morphine. One study claimed a half life of at least 2 weeks if kept in a mildly acidic solution (which heroin HCl should be, anyway), another claimed total conversion of heroin to 6-MAM in 24 hours was between 4 and 13%. If stored as cold as possible without freezing, the half life should be extended even longer. In the presence of blood/serum it will decompose quickly though, due to enzymes in the blood.

So basically, if you want to prepare a syringe for use later, keep it cold and keep blood contamination out of it. It will be fine for a day or so, maybe 3 maximum if you are really pushing it and keep it in a cold fridge.

If it is however cut with either fentanyl or carfentanyl, especially the latter, then yes, it will become less potent. (Same principle)

Incorrect, fentanyl will not hydrolyse in aqueous solution. Carfentanyl may though, but it will behave differently than heroin in terms of hydrolysis rate, and would need to be measured before we knew for sure.

pH changes/extremes doesn't "clod your blood". It may be painful to inject though.

Heroin in solution does hydrolyse to some extent, being more rapid at higher temperatures and more alkaline pH. In general it decomposes first to 6-monoacetylmorphine, which is the active metabolite of heroin formed in the body, before becoming morphine. One study claimed a half life of at least 2 weeks if kept in a mildly acidic solution (which heroin HCl should be, anyway), another claimed total conversion of heroin to 6-MAM in 24 hours was between 4 and 13%. If stored as cold as possible without freezing, the half life should be extended even longer. In the presence of blood/serum it will decompose quickly though, due to enzymes in the blood.

So basically, if you want to prepare a syringe for use later, keep it cold and keep blood contamination out of it. It will be fine for a day or so, maybe 3 maximum if you are really pushing it and keep it in a cold fridge.

Incorrect, fentanyl will not hydrolyse in aqueous solution. Carfentanyl may though, but it will behave differently than heroin in terms of hydrolysis rate, and would need to be measured before we knew for sure.

Something I was curious about in the other thread of a similar topic yesterday I believe.. Wouldn’t conversion to 6-MAM actually make the product more potent before it fully hydrolyzes to morphine? Or am I missing something?

-GC

thank you very much for that detailed response and in a very timely matter too, i really appreciate it.

it just so happens i have one solid rock that id like to split into two different shots, i could have it all but it'd be risky and if you can why not get high twice instead of once?

there would certainly be no blood or anything other than boiled (and cooled down) water in a needle. all equipment is brand new, its just the easiest way to do it if its not going to harm the potency. breaking it up and eye-balling it is an option but id rather just mix it all and keep half aside in a brand new needle.

it'll likely be used within 24 hours and i cant really use my fridge, im guessing in that time a very small amount if any would be lost?

thanks again.

You’ll be fine. I can concur with the research, as me and my buddy used to mix up our shots for the day and of course sometimes luck would have it that you’d have one sit around for a bit. No noticeable loss in potency.

Now cocaine is a different story..

-GC

yeah this isnt the first time ive done this, its an easy way to make some even doses and put some away for the next day or two. i only asked the question because i saw some discussion about it losing potency in a thread that i cant remember. i was just browsing.

i thank everyone for their responses and look forward to any more.

take care of yourselves.

WATER? Ugh ..... even the most desperate junkie can get saline from a needle exchange. Why do you need to boil your shot ?
AUS H does not need boiling..........

you boil the water and let it cool and use that water for when you don't have packs of sterile water on hand. its really not a hard concept to comprehend?