• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does solubility of a substance stay consistent?

Suboxombie

Bluelighter
Ok I'm not sure if this is in the right place. I'll try my best to make clear what I'm asking but I'm on my phone so it's hard, plus I've never been good at explaining myself so please bear with me.

I don't even remember why I wanted to know this.

So, my question is, does the soluability of a substance always stay the same? I don't mean in water vs and acid vs whatever and I'm not talking about different temperatures. I'll give an example to try to ask this better and I'll use the example of buprenorphine because I know close to the soluability in water off the top of my head.

The claim is that buprenorphine has a soluability of 16.8 or 17 mg per 1 ml of water. This number would have been realized in a lab, using a PURE substance and sterile water. After 17 mg, the water is saturated with buprenorphine, no more can be dissolved.
So my question is, if tap water or other water is used, then it would already contain chlorine, lead, other minerals, etc. so already partially saturated with other materials, would the amount of buprenorphine able to be dissolved stay the same?
Also, a different, but also kind of the same question. If someone dissolved subutex or suboxone containing 16mg of buprenorphine in 1ml of water because they know 1ml is enough to dissolve all 16 mg of buprenorphine, wouldn't they really be unlikely to dissolve all of it considering the amount of other ingredients in either medication? If any of the other ingredients are completely or partially water soluable, then it would make sense to assume one would only be getting a (perhaps a small) percentage of the 16mg of buprenorphine to dissolve, correct? Because the water would be saturated by maybe several ingredients as well as the buprenorphine?

I know this topic is boring and like I said I can't even remember why I started thinking about this or why I wanted to know. But I did and I do, so anyone who might want to say anything about it or anyone who can say for sure that the amount would always be the same, and why, please chime in. But also, I know this isn't something that really matters so if it gets pushed to the bottom of the page then disappears, I'll be ok with that. I'm so flighty that I'll possibly forget even wondering about this.

Naw this topic is what drug geeks live for :)

The short answer is that if you’re dealing with a homogeneous or heterogeneous solution. Buprenorphine HCL in h2o would maintain a pretty fair consistency throughout the solution as it is a salt. Actually you probably want someone else to answer this, as it’s been a long time since I took chemistry.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_and_heterogeneous_mixtures

Olive oil and balsamic vinegar is a classic heterogeneous mixture. Table salt in water is a classic homogeneous mixture. Polarity has a lot to do with solubility. There is more to it but that is prettt basic. I wish I could remember more from chemistry, as I love that subject. The fact I’m answering this from my phone doesn’t help much lol

HCl salts are generally highly solvable in h2o. Unless you’re dealing with a freebase form of buprenorphine (which is unlikely) the buprenorphine should dissolve prettt evenly in a polar solvent. Polar molecules will dissolve in polar solution.

The practical issues I think has more to do with how the buprenorphine your using is manufactured. I never had good luck dissolving strips in h2o, and would need something like ethanol to get it to properly dissolve into a homogeneous mixture. But I never had issue dissolving buprenorphine as subutex pills in h2o. It would be simpler to answer you question is you were working with pure buprenorphine HCl, but chances are you’re working with a pharmaceutical preparation.

Sorry, this answer doesn’t do you question justice. Good question! Message Sekio is belligerent drunk about this. They’d be able to give you a more accurate/thorough answer.

I'm no chemist but I don't think the solubility would change unless the water was already highly saturated with other salts. Id think if there was enough molecules to disturb the interaction between the bupe salt and water it would affect the solubility but I don't how this varies with different concentrations of solutes. That's my best guess, probably wrong but better than no guess.

It's a really good question though and id like to see what one of our more Chem savy members have to say.

In theory, the metals in tap water will have little effect on bupe's solubility. If you're having trouble dissolving bupe, it might be due to fillers and insoluble crap in your bupe.

Can we get some more info on why your asking? it might make it easier to help you out

It was just plain curiosity. I’m not sure why I started to think about it. I’m not having trouble dissolving suboxone, but I use more than 1 ml of water

The presence of salts can decrease the solubility of other salts, but in this case, the salts in tap water are at a low enough concentration that it should have a miniscule impact on the solubility of bupe

It much more complex than just: water containing or being saturated with "other stuff" = reduced solubility of a drug..although this is true in some cases

there are a few things to consider:

disruption of the hydrogen bonding between water molecules by ionic metals or salts.

chelation of drug of interest with metals

pKa of the solutes which may influence charge of the drug,

These factors can sometimes make a drug MORE soluble in the water.

The stuff that is in tapwater is in such low concentrations that it will have no effect on solubility of a drug.

The stuff in pill binders is however a large enough amount to probably have some effects.

Hello,
I work in compounding pharmacy and in my experience the biggest factor is time. Yes, buprenorphine is soluble at 17mg/ml, but you need to have it continuously stirring with a magnetic stirrer. The second factor is temperature. It can take up to 24 hours of continuous stirring before it is dissolved, room temperature usually takes a few hours. Just because it is soluble does not mean you just dump it in and it instantly dissolves into solution.