• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Does risperidone increase dopamine in some pathways?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I know risperidone is an antipsychotic which is supposed to be an antagonist but I read somewhere (can't find the article) that it could induce mania by increasing dopamine in some parts of the brain.

When I first took it, I found that I had unusually increased motivation. Many antipsychotics I took did the opposite but risperidone seemed to work. And I know dopamine is known to be the motivational neurotransmitter.

Some might just say that it was treating my psychosis but I wasn't being treated for that. Mainly aggression and sensory issues as a result of having Aspergers.

A friend told me that I may indeed have incorrectly diagnosed ADHD. Would Ritalin (methylphenidate) or Adderral (dexamphetamine) help me to focus if they increase dopamine?

Risperidone is a antagonist of a2-adrenergic receptors. Blockade of alpha2-adrenergic receptors can increase the release of dopamine, seratonin and norepinephrine. But i don't know if you need a reuptake inhibitor of some sort to initiate the release.