• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does opioids reduce anxiety?

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
I'm on some anti-anxiety medication as I suffer with panic attacks. However, when I've taken codeine, I don't bother taking my anti-anxiety medicstion as the codeine seems to take away my anxiety? Does this happen for for other opioids users? And will this effect stop with long term use of opioids?

This is gonna sound weird, but the best way I can describe it it this; opioids don't necessarily reduce the feeling of anxiety, but they make anxiety instead feel GOOD. It's very weird and that probably made no sense. Also, while not technically reducing anxiety, they can help you forget about what's making you anxious. Hope this helps. (I'm also not sure if codeine has these properties, i'm mainly talking about oxycodone or maybe hydrocodone.)

*edit* I'm sure some people reading this think i'm crazy, so try it yourself to see (I'm also curious). The next time to take opioids, think and focus on something coming up or just something in general that makes you anxious or nervous or dreadful. It's weird.

Yeah they can be very effective anti-anxiety agents. I'm not too experienced with opioid drugs, but I know that kratom, in my experience, is very good for mild and/or generalized anxiety.

Generally speaking, though, opioids are a terrible choice if you're looking for anxiolytic drugs because of the potential for physical addiction with continuous usage.

Pain killers kill all pain physical and mental, however you don't know real pain physical or mental until you are addicted and try to stop.

The main reason people become addicted is that they realize this and decide that its "worth it", or that they will "pay the piper when the time comes".

Those people are ignorant to just how difficult and painful addiction is.

It only lasts for a short while as I had extreme anxiety once I was addicted, nothing like realizing you can't fill another script or that you will be cut off.
Sounds silly but it is true terror after you have picked your feelings out of a bottle for a while.

I never enjoyed anxiety, ever, so bonus for you.

Yes, opiates do, for a good deal of people, lessen anxiousness, nervousness, and tension to a considerable degree. Opiates have an effect on the perception of pain, itself, and in this sense I am speaking of pain so as to include any distress, physical or psychological. They don't tend to disinhibit one's demeanor like most sedative-hypnotics, but rather work by generating numbness and dulling the feelings of negativity within distress. I have found that, for me, opiates are better anxiolytics than any sedative-hypnotics, such as a benzodiazepine, barbiturate, or other GABAergic drug. Now, the consequences of using opiates for anxiety relief can vary, and for many be enormously negative, for opiates are insidiously addictive agents. I love them, but do beware. Also, it is probably ill-advised to discontinue your usual regimen of anti-anxiety drug(s), on account of withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, once tolerance kicks in the anxiety might increase as you'll need more to achieve the same effect

Hi I know its old post. I just wanted to say that Id rather go thru opioid withdrawal than benzo. Opioid withdrawal they just get better with every day, benzo seems to never end and are hellish. Tbh its better to use natural things like kratom altough I was using it every day for 5 months and when I stopper Ive realized my anxiety was worse when on kratom. So Im wondering if it was kratim who caused my anxiety in first place. I know we are all diffirent, it doesnt have to be like this with everyone. Just be careful x