• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does my addiction warrant Methadone?

boneknuckleskin

Greenlighter
So I have been using opiates for a few years on and off. But, I think I'm a lightweight compared to some of you. I can get by with 100mg of morphine orally a day. I don't like it, but it keeps me from getting sick, though I must potentiate it with promethazine to be effective at this dose. I've slammed heroin a couple times, hated it. Intravenously, I can handle about 6mg of Dilaudid with 50mg of Morphine Sulfate IV daily without much sedation - pharmaceutical grade IV solution here, not crushed up pills or "approximate" dosing - as I use to have a daily source for this. Anyway, I have tried subs in the past. I didn't like the way they made me feel. I felt the 8mg subs were too strong for me, but my overall opiate tolerance has probably tripled since then. Since I started on my current run about 6 months ago, I am capable of tapering but it never lasts more than a day and I always just end right back to swallowing 240mg+ of morphine daily and it's getting really expensive. Obviously, morphine is my preferred opiate but I feel like maintenance therapy with methadone might be a smarter alternative for me. Left to my own devices, I go bankrupt and lose control. But I keep hearing over and over how potent methadone is and that "one pill can kill you" and I most people I've seen on methadone had pretty major IV heroin addictions. I'm calling a clinic tomorrow but wanted to hear from the cool kids first hand what it's like.

Last edited:
You have a considerable opiate habit that's destroying your life, so yeah, I think it's worth considering methadone maintenance as a better option to your current lifestyle. It's often when methadone is mixed with things like benzos or alcohol that it becomes potentially fatal. As long as one is opioid tolerant and takes all medications as prescribed there shouldn't be an issue.

i was on about 10mgs/mls of methadone daily with a similiar habit to you, but fyi, its a real hassle.

Yeah I think driving downtown every day for a dose is a bunch of shenanigans but pills are bankrupting me and I'm not ready to give up opiates completely.

Yeah I think driving downtown every day for a dose is a bunch of shenanigans but pills are bankrupting me and I'm not ready to give up opiates completely.

what about subutex? where i live they let me take home a weeks worth, so its less bullshit. but yeah if you're going broke over pills you should get on a program

For "lesser" habits, however you judge such a thing, the first-line choice should really be Buprenorphine for a couple of reasons. For those who have less extreme habits going, the agonist/antagonist could be enough to control cravings and make you feel normal. For those of us who have had relatively large habits with strong Opioids like Heroin, many find that Buprenorphine just doesn't do its job. It's not "powerful" enough. I was on Buprenorphine for about 2 months and it didn't do shit for me. I thought about getting high constantly.

But, Buprenorphine can be acquired much more easily than Methadone. Methadone will generally require daily dosing for at least 3 months before giving you just 2 days of medication to take home per week, followed by one more day every 3 months. In my neck of the woods, you can get a Buprenorphine prescription as fast as instantly or in as little as a month, provided you have good attendance and clean drug tests.

For these reasons, Buprenorphine might be better suited for you OP. It really sucks being tied to a clinic everyday. It's a true committment, so don't take it lightly.

Yeah I would go with buprenorphine for sure before committing to methadone. It helped me get off of a really heavy addiction to opioids of all kinds, it might not work awesome your first week or two but if you take it for long enough and are patient, buprenorphine is really helpful. I struggled to stick with my bupe when I first got on it, still wanted to get high on full agonists and relapsed a few times before I successfully stuck to taking it and once it built up in my system I liked it a lot. and like Keif' Richards said above me, it is super easy to get prescribed. You just go to a sub doctor, tell them your story, and fail your first UA for any kind of opiate to basically prove that you have been taking them and want to get off and they will hand you a script for subs in most cases. Every sub doctor will be different but the ones I have had are super cool and understanding. I used to hate bupe but now I have grown to really like it. It effects everybody differently, but I'm on subutex and it actually gives me a nice little buzz and sense of just being happy, and keeps me well all day long making my cravings for opioids non existent. Best decision I ever made was getting on subs. The rate I was going with my opioid addiction I very well could have OD'd and been dead by now. Bupe definitely changed my life for the better!

I have a great friend who wakes up every morning at 4:00am to make it to the methadone clinic. For 15 years. I was on Subs for three, not much better.
I would always suggest looking into Red Vein Maeng Da, or Bali (red) Kratom. I used it to help a friend get off dope, and aside from the behavioral aspect, it worked wonders. No sourcing, I know, but some places are cheaper than others. PM me if you have any questions.
Kratom is a wonder plant.

Definitely go with bup if your habit isn't that large. I think a lot of the people who talk about feeling like zombies on methadone are a result of being on it without having a large enough habit to warrent it. Whereas for people like me with heavy heroin habit don't find bup sufficient but don't experience the same foggy zombie feelings on methadone.

^ i actually found bupe to drain me of my emotions, aside from sadness ("floods of tears" is a genuine side effect), whereas methadone was just super sedating.

i think it all boils down to bupe being less recreational than 'done, i have a friend who swapped his codeine habit for prescribed methadone, which is now his DoC.

^ i actually found bupe to drain me of my emotions, aside from sadness ("floods of tears" is a genuine side effect), whereas methadone was just super sedating.

i think it all boils down to bupe being less recreational than 'done, i have a friend who swapped his codeine habit for prescribed methadone, which is now his DoC.
Is it possible you were on too much for your habit?

I've been on as high as 95mg of methadone a day and didn't find it even slightly sedating.

Is it possible you were on too much for your habit?

I've been on as high as 95mg of methadone a day and didn't find it even slightly sedating.

it wasn't so much that i personally found it sedating, others around me noted that i seemed quite dozy/not myself.