• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Does Metylphenidate Combine With Alcohol In The Body?

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
I heard that Ritalin forms a new compound when you drink while on it. At least, that was what I have read. Apparently, it's called etylphenidate. Why is it that metylphenidate would do this when amphetamines don't. Because methylphenidate is pharmacologically very similar to amphetamine from what I heard?

Or was this information inaccurate and they don't combine in the body since I don't remember where I read this.

The amounts are in micrograms. If you didn't notice, ethylphenidate was sold as an RC for about 5 years. I liked it. Smoother than ritalin. I'm interested in levophacetoperane. One of the trans isomers is a stimulant, one is a CNS depressant. I suspect that like fencamfamine (only m-Me aminorex is smoother), it has affinity for the opioid receptors. If you overlay nortilidine, you will see what I mean. A benzylic ester would work wonders.

I heard that Ritalin forms a new compound when you drink while on it. At least, that was what I have read. Apparently, it's called etylphenidate. Why is it that metylphenidate would do this when amphetamines don't. Because methylphenidate is pharmacologically very similar to amphetamine from what I heard?

No, amphetamine doesn't do that. Cocaine does though (forming cocaethylene).

Methylphenidate is the ester formed by methyl alcohol and ritalinic acid, whereas ethylphenidate is formed by ethyl alcohol and ritalinic acid.
Likewise, cocaine/cocaethylene are the esters of methyl/ethyl alcohol and the carboxylic acid metabolite of cocaine, benzoylecgonine.

Unlike methylphenidate or cocaine, however, amphetamine is not based on a carboxylic acid. Therefore, it cannot be (trans-)esterified with an alcohol.

Last edited:
The formation of ethylphenidate when methylphenidate/ethanol are co-consumed is not of pharmacological relevance as only the inactive isomers are transesterified, IIRC.

To add some visual information to my post above:
On the left is ritalinic acid. Note the carbon connected to both an OH group and a double-bonded oxygen? That's a carboxyl group. If you replace the hydrogen on the OH with an alkyl, you get an ester: in this case the methyl ester, methylphenidate.
Such esters are typically formed via a condensation reaction, i.e. by combining a carboxylic acid and an alcohol and subtracting H2O. Ritalinic acid and methyl alcohol both bring an OH group to the reaction. Subtract 2 H's and 1 O, and what we get is a methyl group connected to an oxygen atom.
320px-Ritalinic_acid-2D-skeletal.svg.png
274px-Methylphenidate-2D-skeletal.svg.png

Likewise, on the left we have the carboxylic acid form of cocaine, benzoylecgonine. To the right, we have its ethyl ester, cocaethylene. It is formed via a process called transesterification, i.e. when the methyl group on cocaine is switched out with an ethyl group by adding the corresponding alcohol (i.e. ethanol).
320px-Benzoylecgonine-2D-skeletal.png
320px-Cocaethylene-2D-skeletal.png

Here we have amphetamine:
207px-Amphetamin.svg.png

No COOH group, no transesterification.

Edit: And yes, as sekio said, only a fraction of the methylphenidate in your body is actually transesterified, and apparently you're primarily transesterifying the less active/inactive isomers. Also, the effects of ethylphenidate aren't all that different from methylphenidate to begin with.
Cocaine is a slightly different matter, because IIRC the percentage of cocaine that's getting transesterified is higher than for methylphenidate, plus cocaethylene has a significantly longer half-life than plain cocaine.

Last edited:
Carboxylesterase is more efficacious for L-threo-methylphenidate, but not completely selective so some D-threo-ethylphenidate would still be formed?

I am not saying it is significant or that ethylphenidate is even all that different in effects though, but just in response to sekio:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15082749

or am I wrong?

Yes, some D-ethylpheidate is formed, but not a pharmacologically significant amount. It's enough to show up on a tox screen though.