• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

does methadone prolong heroin wds

RamonTheTowelBoy

Greenlighter
If taken methadone after heroin will that prolong H withdrawals? Because I read online of a guy who quit H with 3 doses of methadone in around 3 days. There R some ppl who swear it works but others who say after you stop the methadone you will go into wds...which one is it?

Yes of course it prolongs withdrawal, it is an opiate so it just takes place of the heroin. If you stop methadone after 3 days the withdrawal may come on more gradually than heroin but it will still be very present.

^ It doesn’t actually prolong the wd, however methadone, obviously an opioid, full Mu agonist, treats and prevents morphine wd-however it has its own wd, and methadone,being a long lasting, and highly potent opioid, has a more gradual withdrawal as mentioned above, however it will eventually hit hard, and at high doses, when it peaks, it feels much like a morphinian withdrawal, except, it seems like it just doesn’t stop-so it is fairly intense and long lasting
However that is with Chronic administration, and specifically methadone maintenance, where the doses are often higher than what the user took/needed, or in any case large doses of this powerful long lasting Mu agonist with a fairly high binding affinity, almost every day? , is bound to produce some pretty intense wd cold turkey

As far as taking it for a couple days to get off heroin, well, it doesn’m really work like that, however if you have to kick, switching to methadone for a few doses, can alter the course of the wd, perhaps making it a tad less intense-however you simply cannot cheat the wd away, it is unfortunately part of the opioid experience

How did it work out for you? I am currently on a 19 day heroin habbit, I am using approx 80-120mg spread evenly throughout the day. Withdrawal symptoms start to become noticeable after 16-ish hours. Everything has been prepared and all my opiates are gone (except for methadone ofc.) Tomorrow, when I wake up, I am going to try the 3-dose-method. I know your post is from march, but better late then never :) I will post how it goes and if it works.

Cheers mate :)

Try dosing once daily, just enough to stave off w/d, not to get high and then spread it out farther, to EOD. Small doses of methadone over a 4-6 day period can ease WD and you will feel better when coming of the methadone. IF you stay on longer the methadone wd is worse than heroin so I understand.

I've found the 3 dose daily method gets you terribly addicted, which is why at least for me the once daily dose of 100mg or so works best. Try to taper that dose as well.

Bup is often recommended for H wd. A doctor may start on 2-4mg and taper that over a week and it's supposed to be pretty effective. Unfortunately some people stay on it for extended periods of time cuz they can't stay away from opiates. Bup w/d is the worst there is in my experience. Though I've never had gram a day of heroin habit which acutely would be worse where your puking and shitting and want to die. I never do more than 50 to 150mg and I'm doing this 3 times a week. We'll see what happens. The bup and methadone w/d can last for months, not 5-10 days like H.

Last edited:
The methadone method works. I needed to dose for 6 or 7 days before all withdrawal symptoms were completely gone. The only withdrawal symptoms that I experienced were sweating and cold/hot flashes.