• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

does methadone block the opioid high

Caliban

Greenlighter
I used to take a large dose of Methadone daily for neuropathic pain and while on it I found I got no Euphoric effects from any of the other opiood/opiate drugs I was given for breakthrough pain (such as Dilaudid).
Due to pressure from the DEA my doctor is converting me from methadone to extended release opioids (Exalgo, ER hydromrphone seems to be the most effective).
Would switching to something like: OxyContin, Exalgo, or Opana allow me to experience more Euphoria?

Is the Methadone blocking the Euphoria?

When I was on 130mg of methadone, I couldn't feel any opiates, not that it blocks the effects, it just raises your tolerance so damn much that nothing can touch the methadone

I don't believe that it blocks the effects of other opioids in the way the suboxone can, as in, it's a full agonist and has no antagonistic properties. But because it's a full agonist, it probably does block the effects of the other drugs, and jacks your tolerance at that. That's kind of the point, to discourage you from getting high while remaining on an opioid. However, that's when it's used as a maintenance drug. Methadone also has an extremely long half life so it'll take a while for it to clear your system. My bet is that that's what's going on plus the tolerance issue. You may be able to start to feel the euphoria again after some time, but since you're a pain patient, I really encourage you not to chase the high. Just wait until it balances out again.

And this part is totally personal opinion, but I get more euphoria from dilaudid than oxy or opana, so I don't think switching would necessarily help.

^Once again, definitely in agreement. There's definitely some Opioid-blocking properties with Methadone, but I really feel that the biggest issue at play is always going to be tolerance. To feel the same euphoria that you used to with Opioids, you need to reduce your tolerance. It sucks. I'm going through the same thing with Cannabis right now. I really would love to be able to use less and get higher, but I would have to reduce my intake for that to happen. I want to reduce my intake, but I also want to smoke every day and hate giving that up.

Something's gotta give is my point.

^Once again, definitely in agreement. There's definitely some Opioid-blocking properties with Methadone, but I really feel that the biggest issue at play is always going to be tolerance. To feel the same euphoria that you used to with Opioids, you need to reduce your tolerance. It sucks. I'm going through the same thing with Cannabis right now. I really would love to be able to use less and get higher, but I would have to reduce my intake for that to happen. I want to reduce my intake, but I also want to smoke every day and hate giving that up.

Something's gotta give is my point.

I don't want to thread jack but I am curious how you're tolerance with cannabis is working. IME I can very easily reduce my tolerance by reducing frequency and not necessarily the amount I'm smoking. Like if I go from smoking a couple small bowls throughout the afternoon or evening to one tightly packed bowl before bed my tolerance goes down considerably and I get to enjoy being super baked every night. I also find taking just one day off of smoking can help me alot.

Just curious if you've had a similar experience or if im just lucky ;)

Methadone blocks the euphoric feeling and it may take time to get euphoria from your new meds. Until the methadone is out of your system

I personally feel methadone will block any euphoria from any amount of H you smoke. However I have found success using tramadol, I believe this is because it interacts with receptors differently to how H does. Try to save your money for a day when you can manage to have a few days off methadone and then start by having a small bag of gear then see how you feel. Remember you can always do more, its always to late to take less. Be safe and take it slowly.