• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does meth use in early pregnancy cause irreversible damage?

eggiweggs

Greenlighter
My friend recently learned that she is seven weeks pregnant. She used meth a few times during the last two weeks. She is incredibly worried. Does anyone have any information that will help reassure her that everything will be okay?

Yeah don't take meth again or any drugs come to mention it, it stops blood flow to the placenta, rescricts it, makes the embryo starved of oxygen, can cause misscarage and heart defects and loads of other deformities, the first stages of pregnancy are very important it's where the embryo becomes a fetus upto 9 week's after conception is a very important time, as is the rest of it obviously

"your friend" might of got away with it but don't push your luck, why should your baby be high just because you want to be

If you didn't know you was pregnant then sorry I sound harsh but, you might need someone who says it as it is, instead of a meth head trying to say they smoked meth and their baby was fine

You've been warned so if anything happens to your baby you only have yourself to blame if you want to get high again after being told of the consequences

Likelihood is there will be no issue if it was those two times. To continue using meth would be detrimental to the health of the foetus and will end in miscarriage or severe disability.

If “your friend” can’t manage to stop using drugs then I’d advise an early stage abortion because it’s a lot kinder to the foetus.

Drinking causes irreversible damage, smoking already causes problems, antipsychotics is potentially hazardous. I'm pretty sure the most potent stimulant like methamphetamine would almost sure cause problems. If it does not end in downright miscarriage, it will interfere with the baby development, now if it is permanet or not i dont know, but its a gamble for sure. Just don't do it.

Show her this image to calm her down, the baby is only a small organism at this stage.

nervous-system-organization.png

I have seen many so called meth and crack babies having grown up myself in schools with the product of those terrible parents. Even just once or twice has probably done some form of damage to the baby. Carrying on the baby will be born addicited to meth and go into withdrawals will be quite obvious to the hospital staff once they do checks and blood samples. Kid has massive chances of been born a dwarf along with other very bad physical disabilities and huge mental disabilities that will affect them for life.

Not to judge, but she's pregnant and she's using meth? As another poster advised, she perhaps should choose between the meth and the pregnancy. If she's early stage, an abortion would be better for her and the baby.

Yeah I hope she feels bad killling innocent baby just so she can get high, disgusting behaviour, you'll regret if if you've got an empathy, everytime you put that pipe to your lips remember this conversation and I hope you don't enjoy your high

How can you knowing you killed your baby to get high eh, there are people going through ivf desperate for a baby, then you get pregnant easy and do drugs!

No need to be overly judgmental guys. The poster stated that "her friend" just found out she was pregnant, that's not the same thing as knowing you're pregnant and choosing to use meth. Continuing to use meth now that she knows, well, that's a different story.

Yes but we can't say don't worry and the baby is probably okay as in an addicts mind that is the reply or advice they're looking for to carry on using on occasion or daily, who knows the reality of her intake of meth!

So don't put her mind at ease as she'll think "ah it's okay this once a week, then this once a day then often daily"

She's not been online after posting this thread to see the advice she asked for yesterday so she can't be that worried, or she's on a binge

Yeah I hope she feels bad killling innocent baby just so she can get high, disgusting behaviour, you'll regret if if you've got an empathy, everytime you put that pipe to your lips remember this conversation and I hope you don't enjoy your high

How can you knowing you killed your baby to get high eh, there are people going through ivf desperate for a baby, then you get pregnant easy and do drugs!
There is nothing in the original post to indicate she knew she was pregnant when she smoked. In fact it sounds the opposite. How many women are not aware of a pregnancy until 7 weeks or more? Plenty in my experience. And wishing misery and regret on a fellow member trying to find harm minimisation advice and work out the best thing to do is the opposite of what is necessary here. Even if she was aware she was pregnant when she used drugs, anybody who knows anything about dealing with drug problems knows that shaming people is counterproductive.

I stopped heroin to get pregnant, I was on methodone, I was on the ivf waiting list as thought I was infertile, I was desperate for a baby since I could remember, I had the old slip up while having tests to see if I was ovulating, then got pregnant naturally, but bled the day I found out, got told it was a miscarriage till a after the weekend I had a scan and he was still in me, I've not took heroin since I found out I was pregnant, not once! I nearly lost him because I kept bleeding then he was born 3 month's early 2lb 9oz and was blue at birth and had to be saved

I feel strongly about it's because I've been through drug addiction I thought I couldn't get pregnant and there's others getting pregnant easy and still taking drugs or having an abortion, some woman spend upto a decade and £1000 upon £1000 and some never get pregnant or miscarry after going through Ivf, yet here are drug addicts having sex taking drugs and then worrying what harm they might of done when it's to late

And yet she's still not been back online to get her advice she apparently wanted!

I stopped heroin to get pregnant, I was on methodone, I was on the ivf waiting list as thought I was infertile, I was desperate for a baby since I could remember, I had the old slip up while having tests to see if I was ovulating, then got pregnant naturally, but bled the day I found out, got told it was a miscarriage till a after the weekend I had a scan and he was still in me, I've not took heroin since I found out I was pregnant, not once! I nearly lost him because I kept bleeding then he was born 3 month's early 2lb 9oz and was blue at birth and had to be saved

I feel strongly about it's because I've been through drug addiction I thought I couldn't get pregnant and there's others getting pregnant easy and still taking drugs or having an abortion, some woman spend upto a decade and £1000 upon £1000 and some never get pregnant or miscarry after going through Ivf, yet here are drug addicts having sex taking drugs and then worrying what harm they might of done when it's to late

And yet she's still not been back online to get her advice she apparently wanted!
Chill out

I know this is old, but you should just say, it's definitely not a "good" thing for an unborn baby knowing what we know about pregnancy, drugs and so on. I understand that such questions are often asked with the answer already being in hand. I know it's probably pretty scary to think about, but just use that fear to not use Meth anymore during your pregnancy. A couple times using, I'm doubtful would cause any kind of terrible, lifelong consequences for your fetus, but on the flipside, I would hate to think about what a baby would be born like following nine months of Meth use.