• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does Heroin Make You Addicted After One Try?

Ketamania

Bluelight Crew
First off, let me explain that I am not interested in using Heroin. I have a couple drugs on a list that I have vowed not to regularly use.

However, this raises another question. Is it possible to shoot up once to experience what it feels like without becoming addicted? Obviously you would not be physically addicted or experiencing withdrawals at that point. Is there such thing as a functioning heroin addict or responsible heroin use?

The reason I ask this is because of the saying, I?ll try anything once, and to keep curiousity from eating me alive. Would trying it once, not becoming addicted, actually help me not to use in the future? For example, once I experience what it does and see just how potentially addictive it is, would that prevent me from using spontaneously in a life crisis later on?

Are the people who become addicted after one try just weak minded, or does Heroin literally seize your soul?

All input is appreciated<3:)

Last edited:
That's a complicated answer...do you take mind altering substances on a regular basis? Have you ever struggled with depression or anxiety? Is your life currently rich, balanced, and full of recreation?

You won't be "addicted" after one use, but you may intend to use it once, but then convince yourself that one more time won't hurt and then its up to you how far you rationalize your usage. Are you the type of person to get high or have a drink to relax after a hard day? Or take take drugs for recreation because you are bored? Do you have friends who take heroin?

All of these things and many, many more can affect how likely you would be to use again. Chances are you will enjoy it, a lot, and it comes with pretty much zero negative consequences in the beginning, no comedown, no hangover, can function just fine while high, when you first start using there is literally zero reason to not take it again unlike other drugs.(hangover, can't function, dulled senses, comedown, etc.) The high is actually kind of subtle, so you will tell yourself that you can use it again and stop any time as long as you don't take it too far, but no one can tell you how long you will keep telling yourself that.

I will tell you any preconceptions you have about people who become addicted being weak minded is total bullshit; in fact I would say "weak minded" people are the ones who are likely to NOT become addicted as they've already been programmed to shun drugs and it takes a certain degree of novelty seeking and curiosity to try drugs in the first place and people with high degrees of intelligence are capable of convincing themselves to do anything and because they value their own experiences over what they've been told and there's nothing obviously dangerous or addicting about an opiate high as opposed to say meth or cocaine which are so hedonistic and the urge to re-dose so compulsive it is obvious from dose one how addicting they can be, weak minded people are the ones who follow authority blindly and care too much about how other perceive them that they would never break from the pack even if they tried it once.

Opiate addiction sneaks up on you, that's the danger of it, it lulls you in because it seems so easy to walk away from until its not. It allows you to convince yourself that it isn't what you've been told, that you've been lied to, and that its no big deal so whats the harm is doing it one more time.

edit:

Would trying it once, not becoming addicted, actually help me not to use in the future? For example, once I experience what it does and see just how potentially addictive it is, would that prevent me from using spontaneously in a life crisis later on?

I'll add that this is just kind of ridiculous, but its a good example of the type of mental gymnastics people do to rationalize use which leads to addiction and dependence. I mean, if you are able to convince yourself that doing drugs is the best way to not do drugs, then I can almost guarantee you won't have any trouble coming up with a reason to dose again if you felt the urge to.

Last edited:
You make some really good points Coolwhip.

I do take substances, but on a regulated schedule. My life is going good, and progressing towards success in a career and education. I do not have friends who use, and I do not live in the drug scene.

About the weak minded comment: I meant that term to express the kind of people who are genetically predisposed to addictive behavior. I do admit that was a rather poor term to express what I was trying to say. I am not saying opiate users are weak minded. I agree, those who do not follow authority blindly (aka the smart or creative ones) are the ones more likely to use.

Your correct -doing drugs to prevent doing drugs- is rather silly. The fact that I thought that would work is just proof that I should not try it.

Conclusion: not worth it. The benefits do not outweigh the risks in my case.

I am just going to stick to my periodical psychedelics and dissociatives.

That's a complicated answer...do you take mind altering substances on a regular basis? Have you ever struggled with depression or anxiety? Is your life currently rich, balanced, and full of recreation?

You won't be "addicted" after one use, but you may intend to use it once, but then convince yourself that one more time won't hurt and then its up to you how far you rationalize your usage. Are you the type of person to get high or have a drink to relax after a hard day? Or take take drugs for recreation because you are bored? Do you have friends who take heroin?

All of these things and many, many more can affect how likely you would be to use again. Chances are you will enjoy it, a lot, and it comes with pretty much zero negative consequences in the beginning, no comedown, no hangover, can function just fine while high, when you first start using there is literally zero reason to not take it again unlike other drugs.(hangover, can't function, dulled senses, comedown, etc.) The high is actually kind of subtle, so you will tell yourself that you can use it again and stop any time as long as you don't take it too far, but no one can tell you how long you will keep telling yourself that.

I will tell you any preconceptions you have about people who become addicted being weak minded is total bullshit; in fact I would say "weak minded" people are the ones who are likely to NOT become addicted as they've already been programmed to shun drugs and it takes a certain degree of novelty seeking and curiosity to try drugs in the first place and people with high degrees of intelligence are capable of convincing themselves to do anything and because they value their own experiences over what they've been told and there's nothing obviously dangerous or addicting about an opiate high as opposed to say meth or cocaine which are so hedonistic and the urge to re-dose so compulsive it is obvious from dose one how addicting they can be, weak minded people are the ones who follow authority blindly and care too much about how other perceive them that they would never break from the pack even if they tried it once.

Opiate addiction sneaks up on you, that's the danger of it, it lulls you in because it seems so easy to walk away from until its not. It allows you to convince yourself that it isn't what you've been told, that you've been lied to, and that its no big deal so whats the harm is doing it one more time.

edit:

I'll add that this is just kind of ridiculous, but its a good example of the type of mental gymnastics people do to rationalize use which leads to addiction and dependence. I mean, if you are able to convince yourself that doing drugs is the best way to not do drugs, then I can almost guarantee you won't have any trouble coming up with a reason to dose again if you felt the urge to.

Excellent answer!! Heroin has an extremely insidious nature and although it doesn't encouraging compulsive redosing like coke or speed, it can take over your body and soul like no other. Many people don't enjoy their first time and get really ill. Sometimes this is enough to put them off for life. However, some people just keep trying until they get a taste for it - bad move. Others (like myself) loved it and took it at every opportunity until the inevitable happened.

The only way to find out which type of person you are is to try it. This is NOT recommended.

Some people fall in love with it after the first experience, this would be the start of a psychological addiction.

First off, let me explain that I am not interested in using Heroin. I have a couple drugs on a list that I have vowed not to regularly use.

However, this raises another question. Is it possible to shoot up once to experience what it feels like without becoming addicted? Obviously you would not be physically addicted or experiencing withdrawals at that point. Is there such thing as a functioning heroin addict or responsible heroin use?

The reason I ask this is because of the saying, I?ll try anything once, and to keep curiousity from eating me alive. Would trying it once, not becoming addicted, actually help me not to use in the future? For example, once I experience what it does and see just how potentially addictive it is, would that prevent me from using spontaneously in a life crisis later on?

Are the people who become addicted after one try just weak minded, or does Heroin literally seize your soul?

All input is appreciated

You'd be better not opening Pandora's box. I've known several people who have used it once, didn't like it and never touched it again. However, they are very much in the minority. If you feel any pain from just being alive (anxiety, low self esteem, depression etc.) then don't touch it - it is the ultimate cure for life, but ultimately causes more problems than it solves. If you are a normal well adjusted and confident individual, you might not like it - but then again you might. Is it really worth taking that chance?

Don't bother seriously it's great but Wow the Shakin'Stevens were mega bad .

I made a synthetic heroin (not intentional but true ) once didn't inject but was totally floating watching sopranos and off my head with Christopher singing!

The next day I had to take some more just so I could look in a mirror without my head bobbing about up and down , went baking hot and had to take all my clothes off due to overheating and then had to phone the drugs helpline ( part of a multidisciplinary team I worked for ) spoke to a doctor and double checked the heap of tablets I'd crushed had in fact turned into a man made h , she said yes , but did kind of laugh because I told her what had happened and that I was nude and couldn't even keeps my legs from jumping about .

i thought I was hooked but she said " no you'll be fine after 24-48 hours but don't do it again" I said " no shit Sherlock"

put out the phone down took again but half just to stop the disco dancing shakes and was fine.

i realise it's not the same exactly but it was nice but not again , that was about 6 years ago .