• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does gabapentin (nuerontin) potentiate kratom? (300mg gabapentin+7-10g kratom)

Vexanize

Bluelighter
Hi, I was wondering if gabapentin would potentiate kratom? since some of the alkaloids act on the mu opioid receptor in high doses, wouldn't gabapentin amplify the effects like it does with other traditional opiates and is this safe? Thanks for any answers =D

Edit: Would Magnesium Stearate help potentiate/clear some of my tolerance as well? Idk if i have even built a tolerance yet since I've only been using kratom for a few days.

Last edited:
Gabapentin 300mg/Magnesium Stearate 600mg/kratom 9g - experienced

Hi, I was just wondering if this combination was safe/potentiates kratom in some way. I took magnesium because I wasn't sure if i had built a tolerance yet since i have only been taking kratom for a few days, although I've been using in 8-15g doses. Should I get a good amount of relaxation because I'm coming down off of my vyvanse after a stressful day with a headache, also, will i be high? ;)
Thanks for any responses! :)

I would suggest a read through of the -(Gabapentin)-Mega-Thread-and-FAQ-s? for several accounts of Gabapentin's effects. You will find a tolerance builds fairly quickly but yes GP has the ability to cause sedation and sometimes paradoxical stimulation depending on the individual. It can potentiate the Kratom , but differently from say Benzos.

OD-->BDD

appreciate the info, i was hoping for the gabapentin would potentiate the euphoric effects basically

For me personally i cant tell a difference when combining gabapentin and kratom. Especially at that gabapentin dose. Not telling you to up the dose or anything like that.

For most people, yes, the two are at least mildly synergistic.

I?ve found gabapentin to do the opposite. In fact, if taken in even moderately high doses, gabapentin will COMPLETELY block the effects of kratom for me. It?s one reason I?ve ceased using it. Kratom?s benefit for my depression and anxiety far outweighs the benefit I got from gabapentin.

I find any gabapentinoid to synergize nicely with opioids, kratom included. I have heard reports, like the one above, of gabapentinoids subjectively blocking the effects of opioids.

I take magnesium citrate daily, along with other supplements. It doesn't make a profound difference on tolerance IME, but helps with bowel regularity.
Dextromethorphan in therapeutic doses works well via NDMA antagonism as an all around opioid tolerance reducer and synergizes nicely with the effects.

I would have to say, probably, but there isn't really a lot of information on the subject, so we can only make an educated guess. Mitragynine, if I'm correct, is an agonist of the Mu Opioid receptor, so we can at least draw on our knowledge of Opioids in general and group Kratom in with said Opioids. There isn't actually a ton of information regarding the combination of Gabapentinoids and Opioids, as far as I can tell. I've read the easy to find research that states the usage of Gabapentinoids in combination with Opioids tended to reduce the total dosage of Opioids. It would seem that there is some synergy between the two.

Now, as far as my personal experience is concerned, I have most definitely experienced synergy above and beyond just the sum of the parts. Most of the literature I have found states that Gabapentinoids do not contribute to respiratory depression, but I feel uncomfortable stating that as fact. I guess, to answer your question, there is most likely some potentiation action between the two.

So, you're not going to want to take Magnesium and/or any other substance like antacids that might alter the Ph of your stomach. It will typically say on the prescription bottle "do not take within 2 hours of taking an antacid" or something along those lines. The thing is, Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a really tricky drug to deal with for a variety of reasons. There are so many variables involved in the administration of Gabapentin, it's enough to make your head spin. We won't go over each and every one here. If you want to learn more about how to maximize the bioavailability of this drug, you can click on the link the Jekyl Anhydride has provided or you can check out similar guides in places like Reddit.

We were actually just discussing in a different thread, the potential for harm concerning the combination of Opioids and Gabapnetinoids and the thing is, the jury is pretty much still out regarding the potential for harm i.e. contribution to respiratory depression. I've read literature that states Gabapentinoids will not contribute to respiratory depression, but considering the fact that a lot about Gabapentinoids is still unknown, I don't think it's really safe to assume that one can just combine the two haphazardly without caution. I'm not accusing you of this OP.

But yes, don't take Magnesium or antacids with Gabapentin as it will reduce its effects.

Yes, he pretty much did

I am either closing one or merging them; Vexanize, please try and keep similar topics into a single cohesive thread, and certainly don't make copies. It's ok, though maybe go over the BLUA?

Gabapentin is a weird med - it has multiple uses, and variable effects. Kief has a point though, they still say gapapentin' mechanism is partially unknown, and it certainly can potentiate and have odd side effects, more rarely you can get relaxation as other effects from abusing it, thought they seem fleeting. Just go low and slow if you decide to, and 150-300mg is probably a good start; wait at least 40 minutes before redosing gabapentin, and recommend tester doses (small) for all substances that you try or experiment with for the first time, and especially with mixtures or large dose elevation - Kratom isn't my thing, though others have covered it