• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does fentanyl have a shorter life than other opioids?

raisedbydevils

Greenlighter
I'm a heavy long term fent user about 3 grams a day (powder) which I'm sure is some sort of hybrid Chinese synthetic, I smoke, sniff and sometimes shoot it, lately unfortunately I've been shooting it a lot more than I would like because my tolerance has become a monster. I've head a lot of people say fent unlike other opiates stays in your system for a shorter amount of time making it possible to withdraw 2 or more times a day. Now I'm wondering if this is true or just psychological because If I use let's say at 11 in the morning if I'm not dosing again by let's say 7 or 8 I already feel the gastro distress and the early signs of withdrawals. Where as when I was using dope I could shoot a good size shot and be good all day. Could it also have something to do with my size and metabolism? I'm a very petite female in general with a naturally fast acting metabolism. I only mention this because I've seen full grown men jammed off of amounts that barely even give me a head rush. I want to stop but I'm terrified of withdrawals, when I hit the 24 hour mark my entire body is failing and I have full blown flu symptoms. Herion wasn't nearly as bad at the day mark. I've never experienced any sort of withdrawals like these it's as if I'm dying. Any opinions, information or answers would be greatly appreciated. Ty.

Yes fent has a rapid onset as well as a short half life. Your habit is also quite large, so i can definitely see how you'd have later in the day WD's. The only way I think you could avoid the sickness is by switching to a longer acting drug like morphine and maybe tapering with it to reduce your habit. You could taper with the fent but it's not ideal because of how often you'd need to dose

Fentanyl's half-life IV is approximately 10-20 mins (some sources say up to 30 but I see 10-20 in my patients). IN is probably 4-6 hours.

You'd do well to get your hands on some buprenorphine or methadone if you're wanting to taper down. They have very long half-lives and are actually indicated for kicking an opioid habit. Do not taper with fentanyl, it burns off too quickly and the only way to taper even remotely reliably is to use a patch, and even then you're playing with fire.