• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

does DXM lower the seizure threshold?

It doesn't seem to ordinarily, erowid has nothing about it....

That one guys girlfriend more or less went into uncharted territory eating 500+mg per night along with about 100 whippits for about 5 days....

Normal, bi weekly usage, and i don't think you have to worry much....

I can't find any sources for this, but I would have to say it probably does....A drug with a wide range of effects as is DXM is likely to make one more vulnerable to seizures.

One thing to consider is:

[the combined preparation] chlorpheniramine and dextromethorphan can cause seizure [...]

source

Furthermore:
Convulsions (seizures): Rare [18,53-54]. Seizures are more likely to develop in susceptible individuals such as epileptics or if the seizure threshold is reduced by other drugs or non-drug factors (see factors reducing the seizure threshold).
Data on this topic is conflicting. In most trials on rodents, DXM was shown to have anticonvulsant effects [55-58], although proconvulsant (seizure-potentiating) effects were observed in two trials (on rats) [59-60]. In another trial on rats, DXM was shown to be anticonvulsant at low doses, but induced seizures at high doses [61]. In humans, daily doses of 160-200 mg DXM were shown to have anticonvulsant effects which were more pronounced in intermediate and poor metabolizers at CYP2D6 [54]. However, a moderate amount of DXM (two doses of 300 mg, taken several hours apart) in a CYP2D6 poor metabolizer was reported to cause seizures [18]. In a human trial, DXM in daily doses of 120 mg increased the frequency of complex partial seizures by 25% [53]. In another trial on brain-damaged children suffering from seizures, doses of 20-42 mg/kg DXM (with assisted respiration) had anticonvulsant effects [62].

source

If you ask me, it could be that in normal circumstances, that is, normal frequency of use and normal dosing the effect is anticonvulsant but if the dose or frequency is too high for an individual the exact opposite may occur.
This last bit is just my neat little hypothesis though.

Last edited:
The closer to and even more so beyond 1,500 mgs of DXM you get, the more likely you will be to have a seizure on DXM alone.

In another trial on brain-damaged children suffering from seizures, doses of 20-42 mg/kg DXM (with assisted respiration) had anticonvulsant effects

Thats a pretty heavy dose there to get anticonvulsant effects, thats in the anesthetic range, if not potentially toxic range.... Probably the assisted respiration was the only reason it didn't kill them...

I am a dxm user. I use about 1200 mg every time I dose. I have been doing this most days for about 6 years. I started having seizures about 2 years ago. Since then i have had a seizure on a staircase and fell down it, smashed my face on a nightstand, and had so many trips to the er in the ambulance that they know my name. It's almost pathetic how they look at me when they pick me up. I would say from personal experience that it does cause seizures or, lower the seizure threshold. I love dxm , but be careful how long you use it. It's a dangerous beauty sometimes.

Also when comin off it you must be aware of seizures and hallucinations. The classic cold turkey wont work. The withdrawals to dxm are potent and should not be taken lightly.
in any sense you must come slowly off of it but if you quit cold turkey and think you can do it, good luck. Work down your dxm usage to avoid seizures.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I am not entirely sure what that proves..
But yes looking around a bit, DXM does seem to lower the seizure threshold. This is a many year old thread though.