• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does DXM affect the liver or body like alcohol does in anyway?

MarcusJD9999

Bluelighter
So I pretty much just binged on DXM for 4 days and was a little hungover the following weekend. All doses were between 300-600 mg with mostly tabs and cough gels but one time with syrup. Does DXM affect the body and liver in any way that alcohol does?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on drinking beer not too long after the binge. I know like how when you take hydros or Oxys that contain apap, you might not want to drink too close too the pill dose to give your liver a break. I mean like that kind of.

So if I drink beer like three days after the last dex dose is that enough time for my liver to recover and be good if I wanna get drunk soon after? If DXM even takes any effect on the liver like that is part of my question and focus for this post here. Anyone know anything about this thanks.

Last edited:
You'll be fine drinking 3 days after. But it is true to not put that much stress on your liver with APAP and drinking. It's most likely the same but not as dangerous with DXM.

While DXM + alcohol together is not such a good combo (nausea, dizziness vomiting), I think quite small amounts of alcohol are actually beneficial by changing the metabolism of DXM a bit. I don't remember the specifics, might be wrong but close. Also might only be true for modest DXM doses.

Anyway, bigger worries about DXM regularly are cognitive problems. Acutely dangerous interactions are a problem. DXM taxes the liver but I never heard that it strains/damages it. To some extent I think that overtaxing the liver can itself be damaging depending on what drugs are involved and toxicities.

As said yeah 3 days seems quite fine and the rest answered ^

To the liver APAP toxicity can easily be of bigger concern here. Are you saying you are taking formula that has APAP, if so how much?

Drinking alcohol is good for coming down off DXM, imo, not that I would advise it though, probably not the healthiest thing in the world.

The APAP reference was from my experience taking hydro before but that wasn't recently and I never drank before or after dosing the pills. How much? When dosing hydros usually around 1200-2000 mg of APAP but that was not too often.