• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Does anything exist past empiricism? Two important lectures.

Can you actually write a bit more about this? I'm not going to watch video's presenting someone else's point of view and than debate you about them. Its just lazy IMO.

schrooms said:
Are crimes made up

What do you mean? If you mean, are crimes objective designations of human behaviour absolutely set in the universes structure, I would say no- we have invented the entire notion of criminality along with property rights, morality, money, etc.. If you mean that actual crime statistics are made up; I'm sure some are but I'd need more evidence to really form an opinion.

That's what I meant with my first sentence. Its impossible to tell what you, the OP, actually wish to discuss in this topic without watching video's, and I would rather just do that on youtube.

Based on previous threads made by OP, I think he means that without personally witnessing how certain things work, how can you be sure that they're real? Along the lines of "having to take someone's word for it" when it comes to phenomena such as crime, drug tests, DNA, and so on. However, I think the idea is too far-fetched and smells of tinfoil hat too much.

b_d said:
Along the lines of "having to take someone's word for it" when it comes to phenomena such as

It seems like a funny way to initiate the discussion, by using someone else's words to do this...;) Ironic or something.

Yeah sorry it was lazy. However, to that end, I do not think I can do the same justice as the video. Basically what are the limits of empiricism? If we look up the UCR for example we see that crime is "made up of" mostly rolling statistics, strict definitions, crime that hasn't been prosecuted, internet referrals, etc. As far as it being a tin foil hat hypothesis this doesn't mean much. I don't think it's too far fetched to apply Occam's Razor to existing scientism or preexisting ideas of what Knowledge is.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry it was lazy. However, to that end, I do not think I can do the same justice as the video. Basically what are the limits of empiricism? If we look up the UCR for example we see that crime is "made up of" mostly rolling statistics, strict definitions, crime that hasn't been prosecuted, internet referrals, etc. As far as it being a tin foil hat hypothesis this doesn't mean much. I don't think it's too far fetched to apply Occam's Razor to existing scientism or preexisting ideas of what Knowledge is.

You could talk about crime statistics, or other statistics being not very trustworthy (they do say that there are 3 lies: small lies, big lies, and statistics), but the other things you mentioned, such as whether DNA exists and whether drug tests work... come on now.

You could talk about crime statistics, or other statistics being not very trustworthy (they do say that there are 3 lies: small lies, big lies, and statistics), but the other things you mentioned, such as whether DNA exists and whether drug tests work... come on now.

Doesn't DNA exist as a metaphor? You can't actually see it? What chemicals do they use for drug tests? How did they come to grow these chemicals and spliced with what? How does the reaction show positive or false hits?

The reaction mechanisms and everything about drug tests and DNA is available on the internet, even. If that doesn't satisfy you, apply to a college, and perhaps you'll get to do the stuff yourself, so you can make sure that the stuff actually works.