• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does anyone know why the opiate high tends to come in waves?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
You know what I mean, right? When you first take it and it starts kicking in, you usually get an initial rush (depending on the drug and it's strength, of course). After that, you can usually still feel it at all times if you consciously concentrate on it while filtering out any background stimulation. But every so often, I feel a sudden strengthening of it and it becomes a lot more noticeable and enjoyable for various amounts of time, before it just as suddenly fades back to the background level. It happens with diminishing frequency as time passes and the drug reaches its half-life, until I reach the point where I can't really feel it at all - even if concentrating on it. After that, there's usually a period of time in which I don't feel high or just generally "opiated", yet it's still too early for withdrawal to kick in. That phase can last hours, or even overnight depending on the drug. The end of this period is then usually marked by the onset of minor withdrawal symptoms - yawning and some eye-tearing and pupil dilation are usually my first symptoms. What's weird though is that sometimes I can still feel the drug quite strongly when minor withdrawal starts to kick in, and then deepen.

For me, symptoms usually appear in this rough order: yawning, tearing, sweating, goosebumps, hot/cold repeatedly with inability to feel a comfortable temperature, extreme pupil dilation, sneezing, nausea and appetite loss, puking, severe agitation with physical and mental discomfort, restless legs, and finally diarrhea.

Those last few symptoms don't usually occur unless it's a strong drug, has a short half-life, or if I go much longer than usual without my next dose. There are some others as well such as increased odor perception and insomnia which seems to occur through most of these phases and particular the later ones. The withdrawal itself also comes in waves, as it more or less feels like the exact opposite of the come-up and plateau after taking it. I'm just curious what mechanism is responsible for this, because it's not something that seems to be very common in most other drugs.

I think certain opiates produce "waves" more than others, and some don't at all. Just my experience.

Methadone and buprenorphine are wavy for me, with methadone being by far the most "wave" affected opiate for me.

I got pretty steady and consistent effects from hydro/oxymorphone, hydro/oxycodone, morphine and heroin.

I think certain opiates produce "waves" more than others, and some don't at all. Just my experience.

Methadone and buprenorphine are wavy for me, with methadone being by far the most "wave" affected opiate for me.

I got pretty steady and consistent effects from hydro/oxymorphone, hydro/oxycodone, morphine and heroin.

Yup, same thing for me. It was methadone that was on my mind while typing this. I'm on maintenance now...but in the past, it would still happen to some degree with almost any other opiate I took; with morphine and codeine the least wave-like and more constant in effect.

I do not, sorry. I think I've been told various explanations over the years but im not sure any of them had any basis in fact.

I've never noticed the high coming in waves but oddly enough my withdrawal ALWAYS comes in waves and I hate it. Suboxone is the worst, like day 8 I'll be thinking wtf I almost feel normal but then the next day I wake up in full blown w/d. It's the worst tease ever. I suppose you could look at it as God giving you a day pass to feel normal. The same thing happens with kratom. On day 4 or 5 I'll be up running around thinking I've made it through the tunnel only to wake up feeling like total shit the next day.

Last edited:
Funnily, I've only experienced this wave effect since being on bupe the past few weeks.

I've never felt it on any other opioid during my extensive phase of pretty much experimenting with all opi's except methadone.

Lol, I thought it must've been my unique body makeup. Not that I have any explanation for the recurring waves but it's good to know it's not just me!

Interested to see how many posts this thread will generate.

Rtp

Lol at kratom withdrawl coming in waves I'm going through that right now. Took it daily for over a year. Mostly like through out the day though. Went 3 days off it a about a week ago and at the beginning of day three I felt great then I felt like shit suddenly only to feel ok again later. I'm on day 2 again kinda, though I had kratom yesterday but not the whole day like always and I felt like shit most the day with little rays of hope and start to feel better.

As for opiates I never noticed wavs, but I've only had experience with Vicodin Percocet and codeine. Kratom too but that's not a real opiate. Played it safe with the real opiates so I've only done it a handful of times so maybe if I had taken em like I've taken other things I would notice. Real opiate withdrawl scares the hell out of me never want to go through it and hope I never do.

Hmmm, I've never noticed this...I'm on Bupe Maintiance and pretty much feel steady all the time on it(more energetic the first few hours though) then just normal, but with an opiate feeling in the background, with no euphoria really...ya no euphoria compared to other opiates....

my withdrawals come in waves...with the full agonist opiates the waves are extremely frequent.