• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does anyone have experience with Gabapentin?

stimuleye

Greenlighter
I went to a facility for rapid detox off of benzos 3 weeks ago (after being on them for 4 years at different dosages, between 1.5 mg and 4 mg Klonopin daily). I got out the 18th, and have been using prescribed Gabapentin, 1200 to 1500 mg daily as an aid in benzo withdrawal. So I've been taking this Gabapentin at that dosage for about two weeks now and I've been wondering if anyone has had withdrawals after this short of time because I'd like to get off of them as soon as possible. I fear the withdrawals though, as well as the fact that even if I have extremely mild withdrawals, the benzo withdrawals could possibly worsen if Gabapentin withdrawals are added to it. I'm not sure of this though, but it's something I've considered. I know Gabapentin withdrawals can be very similar to benzo withdrawals, and I don't want to go through this all over again.

Just wean yourself off over a couple weeks at a slow pace, by like 300mg every 3 - 4 days or so. Everybody bitches about withdrawals because they don't wean.

But if you have access to the drug and have access to more of it, it's easy to just wean. Just because you want to stop it, doesn't mean you have to stop it abruptly. If you do so, then of course you are going to have withdrawals. Expect it.

Be smart and wean off.

Just wean yourself off over a couple weeks at a slow pace, by like 300mg every 3 - 4 days or so. Everybody bitches about withdrawals because they don't wean.

But if you have access to the drug and have access to more of it, it's easy to just wean. Just because you want to stop it, doesn't mean you have to stop it abruptly. If you do so, then of course you are going to have withdrawals. Expect it.

Be smart and wean off.

Yes I'll definitely wean off of it! I was just wondering if I would have withdrawals, period, after only taking it for a petty two weeks lol. I am worried about it though, and I hope everything will be fine, especially considering I just finished detox from benzos two weeks ago as well

I agree. I've had great success whenever I've done a slow taper.

Do you know what my best would be as far as a taper goes? I'm not sure how to schedule one, only being on this medication for two weeks. How many mg would you recommend someone to reduce by?

If you take 1200mg a day right now, how do you take it? 600 bid or 400 qid? need to tell you how to wean by

And nobody could tell you if you would have withdrawals, as we don't know your brain chemistry. But yes, somebody could theoretically experience withdrawals after 2 weeks at that dosage, but they aren't likely to be severe, unless they are an epileptic

If you take 1200mg a day right now, how do you take it? 600 bid or 400 qid? need to tell you how to wean by

And nobody could tell you if you would have withdrawals, as we don't know your brain chemistry. But yes, somebody could theoretically experience withdrawals after 2 weeks at that dosage, but they aren't likely to be severe, unless they are an epileptic

Technically, I take 300 mg qid since, after the first two days, I had to switch to capsules and I break them open (sore throat, pollen allergies). I take two 300 mg doses within three hours of each other, though, then wait a longer period of time until I take the next two doses which are also three hours apart. Some nights, after taking the third and fourth doses, I take another 300 mg making it 1500 mg total. Within this two weeks, I've probably taken 1500 mg that way for a total of 4 or 5 days.

I know that was confusing, I'm sorry. I'm not making much sense because of the benzo withdrawals but I'll explain in a better way

In the morning maybe around 10 I take one 300 mg capsule (the powder contents) and around 12-1 PM I take another. Then another at 7 PM, another at 10 PM. Sometimes I've even taken two capsules between 11 AM and 1 AM.

Start by taking 300mg tid, 600 at night. Then after a week empty them by half so you take 150mg tid for a week. 300 at night. Then do 150mg bid for a week, 300 at night. Then just take 150 at night for a week. Then you should be good.

Thank you so much! I read somewhere (and it wasn't the best source, either, but still one to take into consideration) that gabapentin can be non-addictive if taken for less than four weeks. Even if that statement isn't true, I've still only been on this medication for two weeks, and I don't want to play games with medication but I'm afraid that I may be okay this early on to taper much quickly, and/or if I stretch the taper out too long I'll go further into a dependency, but I'm not sure of anything. I know some don't even have withdrawals after taking high doses for years, but it's one of those things that you aren't sure of unless you do it, and my mind isn't in the shape to do so. I'm also afraid of the benzo withdrawals and possibility that the gabapentin is masking some of those and that they will come out badly if I quit taking it. Once again, this is something I'm not sure of whatsoever. I hate being afraid :?

just stop taking it for a few days and see what happens. if you notice symptoms then get back on. it would be highly unlikely that you would have withdrawals after two weeks. you don't want to be taking it longer than you have to. you could also just take one here and there as you need it. it would be kinda lame if you were dependent bc you did a drawn out taper that was unnecessary. typically, tapering is a great idea but you should be able to just stop taking it.

tell me more about this rapid detox from benzos. sounds sketchy. how long did it last?

imo, benzos and gabapentin is a bad idea but is becoming more common. i think this stems from the belief that gabapentin is harmless and has no withdrawal. just taper the one drug you are dependent on. cross tapering is tricky, esp when you cross taper with a dependency causing drug. a few folks around here have had bad experiences with gaba after benzo detox. you might just end up more screwed up and dealing with two different dependencies and one big mess.