• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Does anyone find it insane how many doctors dismiss ADHD in adults?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I think psychiatrists/GP's should treat ADHD equally in children and adults but it's insane that (especially in the UK/Ireland) that once you're 18, you can't even get an ADHD diagnosis let alone medication.

If you think about it logically, it's more important to treat adults with ADHD than kids. Children don't have to work jobs so the consequences of them not having treated ADHD are far less serious than adults. Adults with ADHD are more likely to end up unemployed and homeless. There's also the fact that adults with ADHD are more likely to face problems with the criminal justice system. Adults are far more affected by getting into trouble with the law in general than kids are so it's better that a kid with ADHD waits for treatment and fucks around than an adult.

But that's just my opinion...lol. I know here in Ireland the selection of ADHD medication is very little (no amphetamine based ADHD meds).

I’m going to be honest and say majority of drs in Ireland don’t agree with it even believe the adhd diagnosis. They are very backward. Like @schizopath said going private is the only way.

I’m sorry to hear it’s that bad in Ireland. From everything I’ve heard it’s much better for that here in the states. Are you saying that amphetamine medications aren’t even approved for ADHD in Ireland? If so that’s crazy.
Looking it up I see that it is schedule 2 there, same as the states, but obviously that doesn’t say much about doctors’ willingness to prescribe or if it is approved there for ADHD or would have to be prescribed off-label.

Last edited:
Well according to the HPRA website (has a list of all the licensed medicine in Ireland), methylphenidate seems to be the only ADHD medicine available for prescription.

I don't see any amphetamines.

I have the opposite opinion. I think it's shocking how many kids and/or adults get diagnosed ADD while showing minimal generic symptoms.

At least in the US.

I don't know as much about ADHD in adults

I have the opposite opinion. I think it's shocking how many kids and/or adults get diagnosed ADD while showing minimal generic symptoms.

At least in the US.

I don't know as much about ADHD in adults

I tihnk it's better to have the option of medicine and choose not to avail of it than the other scenario where you want medicine to treat physical/mental problems but can't.

In America (at least up until recently), you could easily get benzos, opiates, and stimulants from doctors. There are people who can overcome ADHD/anxiety with therapy/exercise and don't need narcotic drugs as a firstline choice (they can choose not to fill their script) but then there are those who can't. It's good to have that choice.

Here in Europe (specifically the UK/Ireland), it's the opposite situation. Unless you're terminally ill, you have no chance of doctors prescribing benzos or opiates to you. Many psychiatrists/GP's also don't believe ADD exists so people who really need the drugs go untreated or turn to street drugs.

I tihnk it's better to have the option of medicine and choose not to avail of it than the other scenario where you want medicine to treat physical/mental problems but can't.

I completely agree.

I think my problem is the amount of people on adderall that do not truly need it, and that several doctors I have been to hand me an ADD/ADHD questionnaire unasked and unprompted, never bringing up ADD to the doc, I fill it out honestly and then they prescribe me adderall. I mean I love adderall, but that's not the point. I think amphetamines should generally be avoided unless you truly need them. I don't truly need them. I just feel like its slightly irresponsible of a doctor. I know their main goal is to give the patient the best outcome/health as possible. I don't know. I'm just against giving people narcotics without them really asking for it. I've had friends I introduced to heroin that ended up overdosing. I think it's just a sensitive subject for me, giving people new drugs. Maybe.

Its overdoagnosed as a meth substitute to
College kids. That takes away trom the people like me who have had it textbook since childhood, as in where’s our doodled over scribbled on textbooks? Black hole again?’oh that figures... i wasn’t paying attention.