• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does a full-stomach ruin Hydrocodone?

OpioidDopioid

Greenlighter
I've been using hydrocodone (Vicodin) once a week for the past few weeks. They are 5/325's. I usually take 3 on a mostly empty stomach, and the effects hit hard in about a half hour. This week I took 4 on a more full-stomach, and now an hour and a half later I still haven't felt the effects much. (I can feel it a little, but it's much weaker than when I took 3).

Did I make a mistake by eating? I still hadn't ate for about 3-4 hours, but it hasn't digested entirely (I have a colostomy, it's very easy to tell when things have made their way through). I felt more full this time than usual.

I was hoping for something slightly better this time around which is why I took one extra, but instead I've gotten nearly nothing. I know having ate could cause a slowed reacting, but would it really take over an hour longer? Is having food in my stomach going to just make the high weak because it absorbs slower?

Yes. If i eat anything my buzz is incredibly diminished. On a full stomach (even if i ate hours ago) i can eat triple my normal dose and feel nothing at all. It's frustrating to have to starve yourself, but it's the only way it works for me. Sorry bro...

When I would use Hydrocodone having ate anytime before or during often ruined the high. I would try not to eat for at least 8 hours before. Also it may not have been the food so much as possibly you're gaining a tolerance. I must caution you because I have been in your shoes if you're taking over 2000mg of APAP at once long term is bad for your liver. So maybe you could do a CWE on the pills. You lose an unnoticeable amount of Hydro and it's much better for you. Finally if you want the best high for your buck and you do a CWE I recommend you look into plugging.

Yes. If i eat anything my buzz is incredibly diminished. On a full stomach (even if i ate hours ago) i can eat triple my normal dose and feel nothing at all. It's frustrating to have to starve yourself, but it's the only way it works for me. Sorry bro...

I was afraid of this. I've had about the same routine each week; eat at about 5PM then dose up at around 10PM. This week was no different other than I maybe ate a little more than usual, but I definitely felt more full this time around. Usually my stomach is close to growling before I dose. Oh well, live and learn.

When I would use Hydrocodone having ate anytime before or during often ruined the high. I would try not to eat for at least 8 hours before. Also it may not have been the food so much as possibly you're gaining a tolerance. I must caution you because I have been in your shoes if you're taking over 2000mg of APAP at once long term is bad for your liver. So maybe you could do a CWE on the pills. You lose an unnoticeable amount of Hydro and it's much better for you. Finally if you want the best high for your buck and you do a CWE I recommend you look into plugging.

I don't believe it's an issue of tolerance. I was on prescribed oxy codone a few years back, and over two months time my dose only went up about 10mg. I've only taken hydrocodone two times, and each was a week from the last. At this point I'm almost certain it was the food.

I'd prefer not to go through the trouble of extraction. I'm a very casual user and am not overtly concerned about getting the most bang-per-mg. I just like to unwind every now and then.

Thanks both of you for the replies.

That may be the case. I have noticed my Vicodin will hit me way harder if I take it first thing in the morning when I wake up after not eating for 6-8 hours.

That may be the case. I have noticed my Vicodin will hit me way harder if I take it first thing in the morning when I wake up after not eating for 6-8 hours.

I will keep this in mind next time. I prefer to take it at night time just to unwind, but I'll adjust my mealtimes around it. I'll hold off on use until my stomach feels adequately empty.

from my experience with many pills, not just opiates, even amphetamines, when i take then even after eating a moderate amount, the high is greatly diminished. If you can get your hands on an amphetamine such as adderall, you can go a while without eating, and after a few hours when youre sure your stomach is empty and youre coming down off the adderall, do your oxy or vics.

What I do is, if I do end up eating anything before dosing, the most I would eat is a VERY light meal or snack.
What I do MOST the time is dose first, and eat like 2 hours after dosing.

These methods I find are the best to get an excellent high and not getting sick.

The best way i found to get the most out of them and strongest high orally is to take them on an empty or fairly empty stomach and then eat a fatty meal about an hour or two after to potentiate the high.

But if you already ate the best way would be to get an oral syringe and plug your dose so it bypasses first pass metabolism, therefore the food has no effect on the buzz. Plugging your dose is the best way and hardest hitting way to dose those pills anyway.����

Edit: Methacodone you beat me to it; I didn't see
your post. Sound advice my man.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure eating pain killers on an empty stomach is hell for you your stomach lining

I'm pretty sure eating pain killers on an empty stomach is hell for you your stomach lining
Opioids are fine on an empty stomach - the worst that it will generally do is make you nauseous.

If you include NSAIDs in your definition of painkiller, sure - this means Aspirin, Advil, Aleve are all hard on your stomach lining, as are any pills that combine them with an opioid (eg Percodan).

The best way i found to get the most out of them and strongest high orally is to take them on an empty or fairly empty stomach and then eat a fatty meal about an hour or two after to potentiate the high.
To my knowledge eating a fatty meal after ingesting pills only works with oxymorphone. Do you have evidence otherwise? I'm always looking to get more out of some pills, so please respond if you do!

It's the OPPOSITE according to studies!

(SOURCE: LiveStrong.)
"Eat a meal rich in monounsaturated fat prior to taking your prescribed dose of oxycodone. According to "Focus on Nursing Pharmacology," taking oxycodone with a fatty meal can increase its absorption by up to 27 percent."
(Also says this in the Oxycodone guide)

So I'm very confused why it's the opposite for many people..

idk about "full", but eating foods containing fats and other stuff according to years old research available on PubMed proves it can even increase oral bioavailability and absorption.