• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Doctor said I was most sensitive to Valium, but I run out early every month.

Speed King

Bluelighter
I am supposed to be prescribed 30 mg Valium a day. On some days, I can feel 5mg work. Lately, I've been hitting six, 10 mg pills a day. I am suppose to be most sensitive to Valium. I thought that meant less is more. I wouldn't need more than three, 10 mg pills/ day. Some people and charts say .5 mg Clonazepam equals 10 mg Diazepiam. I would like real solid proof to show my doctor, just so we can week and deal up to at least 40 mg or 50 mg. I like Valium. It works. When things are relatively smooth, I have a next day afterglow. Other times, like now, 30mg- 60mg is what I am in need of to get relaxation. Can someone guide me here? Worst case, I'm going to fill a remaining 1mg X 90 pill Clonazepam script I have left over. Take them together and then explain what's up to my doctor. I don't Really want to do that, but I'm afraid of being cut off. That may be unlikely, but that's part of anxiety. Thanks Bluelighters. By the way I was on 3 mg Clonazepam for close to 18 years. That's the only reason I switched .

There are benzo equivalency charts all over the internet. I found this one that states 1 mg clonazepam = 5 mg diazepam. You can discuss with your doctor but I'm not sure this would convince him to prescribe you 40-50 mg daily. That's a very large dose for anxiety. (Moving to BDD)

http://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/?example

Indeed at sounds like a very high dosage for anxiety. Much too high in most cases, but of cause I do not know your situation at all.

For me 1 mg of clonazepam feels about the same as 10 mg of diazepam. But they are hard to compare. Clonazepam feels more "active" for me. It gives me a rush in the first couple of hours where as diazepam is more stable. But if you are using that high a dosage of diazepam it might be worth seeing if clonazepam or something else will work better for you? Have you tried that before or discussed it with your doctor?

To be honest it sounds strang your doctor saying you are more sensitive to valium. Benzodiazepines work very different from individual to individual, therefore it is very hard to compare how one benzodiazepine might influence you based on the statements of other people. Therefore, it is worth trying other benzo's to see if they would be more effective when you need that high a dosage of diazepam. At least it is worth discussing with your doctor.

Thanks T. Calderone. In my ADD way of thinking, I tend to focus too much on certain things, like benzo charts, which there are a lot of. Ignio, I had a gene test, that determined the Valium answer. I'll try laying off a little while and see what happens.

Here is an example. I am receiving pain relief and lightly tripping on DXM. Pain is gone and I only used 15 mg Valium today. I'd rather eat DXM and light dosages of Valium then eat high dosages of Valium. Drugs like Lyrica , Percocet, and Valium don't always work well together.

I'm accustomed to both and for me personally .5mg clonazepam is like 5mg diazepam but they feel different to me too. My suggestion would be to talk to your doctor by phone or appointment as soon as possible. If you've been on the Valium a while you may have simply developed a tolerance and your doctor should understand and respond accordingly but if you take it upon yourself to manage medication without consulting him/her first you may end up dismissed from the practice struggling to find a compassionate replacement. I was on clonazepam for 8 1/2 years and able to maintain a low dose and still got dropped over making bad decisions. If you are used to 30mg a day but think up to 60mg is what you need that is within reason in my opinion. In the mean time maybe consider looking into potentiating tips to get the most out of your current dose. If you're at a point where you've run out and are concerned about contacting your doctor then that's a different story but keep in mind that benzos are dangerous to come off of without tapering and can cause seizures, even be fatal and it's better to be honest than be dead right?

Raysu, that was brilliant. Thank you for the insight. I now understand what I must do. I agree,100%. I actually have an excuse to call her. I am traveling across the country for a wedding. I'll leave it as extra anxiety. I have a back up Clonazepam script for an emergency.
Thank you very much.

Anytime, glad to help ? I get some satisfaction knowing my disasters and experiences can be usefully applied these days haha!

Aww that's sweet of you to say thank you! Rehashing my experiences makes me think I'm LUCKY be around-had a lot of close calls over the years living the high life!