• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you think using Cannabis (edibles) will prevent brain from benzo healing?

Ringo88

Bluelighter
So, long story short. I take Prozac and Valium everyday. I'm on 7.5mg of Valium, a very small dose, and a far cry from the equivalent of 60mg I used to be on.

I also take Prozac 40mg. Now, MJ can sometimes give me anxiety, but I've learned how to dose better. I only use edibles, as I have asthma.

Now, my question is: Could Cannabis use be bad for someone as they slowly get off benzos and use other medication?

I know it tends to mix fine with everything, I just don't want it to prolong my healing.

Weed is a godsend for benzo' withdrawals.

I'm kind of confused what you mean by "brain healing," though. If you've got actual damage to your brain, my brutha, you want to stop taking psychoactives and go have a talk with your doctor about using cannabis to cope.

Well, I mean the damage that Benzos have done to my brain. I know it will heal, but I don't have any actual "damage" that I know of. At least I don't hope so haha.

Right... I can't really think of any damage associated with benzo' use other than the chemical changes that result in dependency and withdrawal, and the inevitable rebound anxiety associated with long-term, heavy use.

I'm no scientist, though. There might be other shit that goes on up there, too, but in my opinion cannabis only makes it easier to break your dependency on benzo's. However, it can be tough to toe the line between using it to break your dependency and using it to replace your drug of choice. Without being informed enough to know what specific damage is incurred from overuse, though, I can't really say more than that.

I'm going to say it is neutral or beneficial. That is purely based upon my experience and that of a couple friends. I'm coming off high dose prescribed benzos, and similar the OP I was as high as 70-mg/day. Now down to 20-mg/day by ashton taper.

I'm a mmj patient, I find that whether or not I smoke cannabis it seems to have no effect on my withdrawal symptoms, which are fairly mild. Well, it has one effect - strong indica strains tend to knock me out as if I doubled my benzo dose. So, it does help me with insomnia, but that's not the OPs question. Also, edibles seem to work even better for sleep induction for me if I dose properly and about three hours before bed. I sleep great.

As for brain effects - I don't "feel" any different when I smoke vs. taking a week tolerance break. I'm not more or less clear headed, my memory is about the same. I just don't sleep as well, which could be cannabis withdrawal and / or benzos w/ds.

I've been on benzos for nine years running. I have tapered once before, a decade ago and fully gotten off benzos. Then I got back on nine years ago. 4-mg/day ckonazepam. I smoked the entire time, and for the decade prior to going on benzos.

I feel any brain effects I've had are from the benzos only, that is a very subjective assessment.

There's limited, but hopeful, evidence that cannabis can help heal portions of the brain. GABA specifically, I don't know- not sure anyone has a clue - yet. But I've never heard of cannabis complicating a benzo taper except for those predisposed to cannabis induced anxiety. I've only experienced and heard of good outcomes.

Really - there no solid answer here. Just anecdotal experiences.

I think moderate use is probably ok, but who am I? Just someone who ran out of cannabis today, needs to drive to the dispensary, get more and so I'm reading this forum while I ponder what I'll buy. Probably some edibles for sleep, and indica for evening enjoyment. I only smoke after dark (end of day). Moderate use I think it's best...

Thanks guys, both of you. I really appreciate the response! Speedballs, it's good to hear from someone who knows where I'm coming from. I do experience anxiety sometimes from cannabis, but I've found that to be if I dosed too much. Will try to use for sleep and a little for enjoyment. Thanks guys!

I've been cold turkey off diclazepam for a couple of weeks and I've found hash edibles to really help keep the intrusive thoughts and anxiety at bay.

For me smoking weed made my withdrawal worse, made me more anxious and delusional.

I was trying to come off a much larger amount of benzos (equiv of about 200mg diazepam) Took me a couple of years to get of them and went through most of it smoking weed. I'd been smoking for 20 years solid so it wasn't easy to stop, but it definitely helped overall when I did.

Right... I can't really think of any damage associated with benzo' use other than the chemical changes that result in dependency and withdrawal, and the inevitable rebound anxiety associated with long-term, heavy use.

there are GABA receptors all over the brain and benzo withdrawal can cause major issues with these receptors, sometimes resulting in serious impairments of cognitive function, mood, and other important brain functions. These symptoms last years. So basically recovery from serious benzo withdrawal is on par with recovery from other types of brain damage. After you have been off benzos for years and still have symptoms the difference between withdrawal and brain damage becomes pretty irrelevant. For all practical purposes you are brain damaged.

Anyway, I think during acute withdrawal it is probably best to let the brain stabilize without any substances but I find marijuana helps greatly with protracted withdrawal symptoms.

there are GABA receptors all over the brain and benzo withdrawal can cause major issues with these receptors, sometimes resulting in serious impairments of cognitive function, mood, and other important brain functions. These symptoms last years. So basically recovery from serious benzo withdrawal is on par with recovery from other types of brain damage. After you have been off benzos for years and still have symptoms the difference between withdrawal and brain damage becomes pretty irrelevant. For all practical purposes you are brain damaged.

Anyway, I think during acute withdrawal it is probably best to let the brain stabilize without any substances but I find marijuana helps greatly with protracted withdrawal symptoms.

Scary stuff... so Benzo's super bad

Scary stuff... so Benzo's super bad

No, relying on a substance for normalcy is bad. Benzo's are no worse off than most typical pharmaceuticals and black market drugs.

Thanks for takin' me to school, burn out. It's nice learning more about the specifics.

So, long story short. I take Prozac and Valium everyday. I'm on 7.5mg of Valium, a very small dose, and a far cry from the equivalent of 60mg I used to be on.

I also take Prozac 40mg. Now, MJ can sometimes give me anxiety, but I've learned how to dose better. I only use edibles, as I have asthma.

Now, my question is: Could Cannabis use be bad for someone as they slowly get off benzos and use other medication?

I know it tends to mix fine with everything, I just don't want it to prolong my healing.

how long have you been on valium?

i've binged on several benzos in the past. xanax had the nastiest rebound anxiety. similar to a heavy night of drinking.

valium has given me little to no symptoms that affect my life negatively. worst case i am a but more moody but the anxiety is not there. it has a very long half life. i can take up to 40mg a weekend depending on the instance. i mainly try to stick to 10-20mg. during the week i wouldn't really feel much ill effects.

CBD rich edibles could help while you taper.