• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do you think I can do this? Should I even?

Synaps3

Bluelighter
So I'm going to be doing some international traveling in a couple months. Here's my story/problem:

I'm an opioid addict (dilaudid 8-10mg per day) - half nose, half oral - weigh 128 lbs. I was a kratom addict for 4 years prior, but stopped 3 months ago and now exclusively use dilaudid every day. I'm not prescribed anything. I'm self medicating for IBS (intestinal problems) and I have aspergers. I really don't like being dependent, but I'm very responsible with my use. With my current life in the US, I feel like I need it though. I'm traveling partly to decide whether I want to move to another country.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to quit the opioids. I feel like I really need them (even tho I'm not prescribed). I'm not sure if my need for them is just my addiction talking or not, but I think I do because before I got on them, I was very unhappy and had a lot of gut pains. So I don't want to be having shitting issues as I'm traveling around. I do have some time to quit though, so I could theoretically get through the withdrawals first. How long do the intestinal aspects of opioid withdrawals last? Do they go away as soon as the main withdrawals go away? BTW I've already gone the doctor route with meds for my gut and they didn't work.

What would you recommend I do? Should I force myself to quit? Should I try to get a suboxone prescription (can I do it without it being on my medical record)? Do people have problems traveling with suboxone? (FYI I never quit before, just been using daily for many years.)

So I'm going to be doing some international traveling in a couple months. Here's my story/problem:

I'm an opioid addict (dilaudid 8-10mg per day) - half nose, half oral - weigh 128 lbs. I was a kratom addict for 4 years prior, but stopped 3 months ago and now exclusively use dilaudid every day. I'm not prescribed anything. I'm self medicating for IBS (intestinal problems) and I have aspergers. I really don't like being dependent, but I'm very responsible with my use. With my current life in the US, I feel like I need it though. I'm traveling partly to decide whether I want to move to another country.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to quit the opioids. I feel like I really need them (even tho I'm not prescribed). I'm not sure if my need for them is just my addiction talking or not, but I think I do because before I got on them, I was very unhappy and had a lot of gut pains. So I don't want to be having shitting issues as I'm traveling around. I do have some time to quit though, so I could theoretically get through the withdrawals first. How long do the intestinal aspects of opioid withdrawals last? Do they go away as soon as the main withdrawals go away? BTW I've already gone the doctor route with meds for my gut and they didn't work.

What would you recommend I do? Should I force myself to quit? Should I try to get a suboxone prescription (can I do it without it being on my medical record)? Do people have problems traveling with suboxone? (FYI I never quit before, just been using daily for many years.)
Travelling whilst being an addict is going to be tough. Even if you get a suboxone script there are a lot of countries where it’s just not allowed or very closely looked at. What if you lose them? What if someone takes them from your bag? You’re totally screwed.

I’d advise you to get off the opioids. You can use loperamide for diarrhoea until the withdrawals have moved past that.

I’m assuming you’ve IBS- D? Generally opioids would make IBS much worse tbh. There are a lot of herbal supplements that might work better for you than medication. Peppermint tea works for me, chamomile also and watching what you eat. Find your trigger foods and avoid them.

As someone with their own gut issues(celiacs), taking drugs to numb the pain is not a good solution at all. You should be able to stop the pain through a diet that doesn't upset your stomach. Abusing your intestines like this leads to bowel cancer.

Loperamide/Imodium might be a useful part of the arsenal when it comes to opioids.

You might look into memantine as an aid to cease your opioid use and to avoid catching post-acute withdrawal. I used that to get rid of a multiple-year morphine habit and it fully worked. Took me 2-3 weeks to get rid of the addiction. Plus you should be able to travel with memantine much easier than with dilaudid or subuxone. Depends on how much time you have and whether you're able to soucre memantine.

Yeah, loperamide is a good aid as well.

OK, thanks for the info guys. Immodium and memantine. I already got the immodium, but I'll look into the mem.

What do you think about levodopa for RLS? Cause I do get a lot of RLS sometimes.

As someone with their own gut issues(celiacs), taking drugs to numb the pain is not a good solution at all. You should be able to stop the pain through a diet that doesn't upset your stomach. Abusing your intestines like this leads to bowel cancer.
It's not like that for me. It's very loosely related to food. There are a few specific things that I avoid.
I really don't think the opioids are abusing my intestines; if anything, it's gotten better. They don't just block the pain, they make my gut actually function better. That's why it seems like I truly do need them. Part of the reason I know this is because when I first started using the kratom, I would take it sometimes when I already had an increase in gut pain and it barely did anything for the pain. It just kind of blunted the rottenness of it, but it was still clearly there. However, if I took the kratom everyday, then the gut pain wouldn't even come up at all and my digestion was better (BTW this was only if it was brewed into a filtered tea.)

This is why I think it's going to be incredibly hard for me to quit. I hope I don't relapse, but it may happen.

The opioids/morphine isn't what will give you cancer, it's the abuse to the intestines. Vast majority of people with 'IBS' are actually just people experiencing food allergies that they havnt identified/still eat.

IBS is a doctors diagnosis of 'I don't know wtf is wrong, but it's the intestines'.

I don't see any way opioids could physically be stopping your symptoms. It'll be masking them, that's it. Convincing yourself that it's anything but that is addiction or naivety speaking. They mask them better than Kratom is what you've discovered.

It took me years to realise I was being fucked up by gluten. So much pain and misery that I could have easily subdued with morphine. Some allergies are harder to lock down. Corn is becoming more common, and for north Americans it's jammed into so many products by way of corn starch and corn syrup so can be very difficult to see if you are reacting to it without the strictest of plain diets.

The damage that leads to cancer is the reaction in your intestines that also caused pain. Masking the damage means you might feel OK now but later on your intestines will give out because of unchecked abuse.

I highly suggest eating plain rice and bananas for a 2-3 days and see how your gut and specifically your shit looks like.