• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Do you draw your Heroin up with cotton? Do you cook it?

Steve Merkle

Greenlighter
I'm simply curious. For those of you who shoot Heroin, do you draw it up with cotton prior to shooting? I currently DO NOT draw it up using cotton. I simply mix it with hot water and draw it up straight into the syringe. I was chilling with someone tonight who told me it is best to draw it up with cotton to filter out as many bad particles as you possibly can in order to prevent them from entering into your bloodstream. Is this really necessary? Am I seriously further risking my health by avoiding drawing it up with cotton?

Also, do you cook your Heroin prior to shooting up? This question pertains to anyone who is not shooting black tar. Although I have never done black tar myself, I have heard that you have to cook it down prior to injecting. I personally do not cook my Heroin because there is simply no reason to do so (that I am aware of at least). Is it a better practice to cook the Heroin even if it doesn't seem unnecessary? If so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should at least use a sterile cotton to filter your solution and no you don't want to heat the heroin as this will allow more impurities to get into solution

^^^

Exactly. Heating H is pointless. And please use COLD water, hot water contains more bacteria from sitting there in a hot water heater.

As far as cotton, yes, it is best to use a filter. I think the best method is too keep a clean shot glass(or two) and put your powder in the shot glass, wait a minute, shake thoroughly, wait another minute, and then pull through a filter. Why ppl cook H no. 4 in a spoon is beyond me.

Micron filters are best, but 99% don't have them. And w/ high quality H, I think it is better than shooting pills.

If you insist on warm water, put cold water in shot glass, microwave 10 seconds or so.

Hope that helps

Lorne out!

Exactly. Heating H is pointless. And please use COLD water, hot water contains more bacteria from sitting there in a hot water heater.

I boil my water in a spoon right before I fix up my shot in order to kill some of the bacteria in the water. I simply put water in a spoon and heat it up with a lighter until it boils. Is this bad? I was told it is best to do this to remove as much bacteria from the water as possible. Also, boiling water helps dissolve the H better than cold water.

You need to boil water for five minutes to sterilize it, which does nothing to remove impurities such as minerals or metal. Cooking dope only allows impurities to dissolve and is only good for making tar soft that would take hours to dissolve without it. Number 4 is useless to heat. Airways filter at least with cotton as dope is always cut

Also, do you cook your Heroin prior to shooting up? This question pertains to anyone who is not shooting black tar. Although I have never done black tar myself, I have heard that you have to cook it down prior to injecting.

Most people will cook tar prior to injection, but this is only for speeding up the process of breaking the tar down into a solution...ultimately it's unnecessary even with tar. Any tar junkie who has ever tried to prep a shot but realizes that they've forgotten their lighter will tell you this. When I did tar I'd use a spoon and lighter if I had access to those things...but one could just as easily stir the tar in a bottle cap with a syringe plunger, BTH is soluble in water and will eventually break down into a suitable solution.

Never would heat ECP/meth/cocaine/and other street drug that came in powder form. And yeah, the cotton from a q-tip as a crude, makeshift filter. That's how I was taught.

I shoot up tar , yes I cook it up cause I have to or else I'm gonna sit there for an hour shaking a spoon side to side which isn't much fun .
I don't even 'cook it' really just heat it till it mixes which takes heat and a good amount of it but not boiling I've never ever cooked my shot to where it even bubbled once just to where it mixed into a solution and sometimes I think it's done I draw it up and there's a smudge left of tar on the spoon I didn't know I didn't cook up. Never done east coast shit but heard you can just mix it no reason to cook it , and use a cotton man!! At least damn

Thank you all for your replies. I will use cotton to draw up my H from now on. I always knew boiling the water in a spoon barely killed any bacteria, if any at all. Like I said though, boiling/hot water also helps dissolve the H quicker. Does anyone suggest I stop boiling the water prior to injecting and just mix the H with cold water?

Sometimes when I'm out on the road, if I forget my spoon, or sometimes just out of pure convenience, I'll stop at a convenience store and get some boiling hot water out of the coffee machine and use it to mix my H prior to injecting. Is this a bad idea/unnecessary as well?

I forgot to add one more thing. I'm pretty sure this is false, but I was told a long time ago that if you draw up your H (or any drug really) with cotton, you'll inadvertently filter out some of the H (or your drug of choice) in the cotton ball while drawing up. This has to be false, correct?

You might have some in the cotton if you don't pull a clean rinse through to grab any h stuck in the moisture retained by the cotton and what's left in there is pretty negligible.

As far as heating the water it can be done and is best done prior to mixing the dope with the water as not to ruin it by heat, but as other say it's pretty pointless except in the case of hard to dissolve tar. It only allows impurities to dissolve faster while the heroin essentially mix's immediately

I always used a cotton filter of some kind with dope and actually any drug to IV, since you want to avoid any insoluble stuff from being injected into your bloodstream. Even if you can't see them they can be in the solution of dope and water, so just to be extra careful it is advisable to filter any solution for injection, unless you are using made to inject pharm. liquids, but those tend to be very hard to get anyway..I used to heat up the dope just a little before using by injection, but most people say that is a waste of time since pure #4 heroin is freely water soluble in cold water, but some #4 I have read has some impurities from the conversion process and so needs warm water at least..this may be untrue though, but they say that SEA #4 is totally water soluble in cold water, and other #4 varieties need warm water or even a little heat due to incomplete synthesis of all the #3 into #4, but this is something i'm not 100% sure the sources are correct about.

Thanks again for the responses. Well, I've since started to filter using cotton and I like it much better. Furthermore, I do boil the water before I mix it together with the dope. I never apply heat to my H.

I'm guessing when filtering using cotton, it doesn't prevent all the insoluble junk from going into the syringe, correct? It's just better than not filtering at all?

You might have some in the cotton if you don't pull a clean rinse through to grab any h stuck in the moisture retained by the cotton and what's left in there is pretty negligible.

When you say "clean rinse," you mean after all the liquid has been drawn up out of the spoon and you make sure all of the moisture is drawn up/removed from the cotton?

Last edited:
Thanks again for the responses. Well, I've since started to filter using cotton and I like it much better. Furthermore, I do boil the water before I mix together with the dope. I never apply heat to my H.

I'm guessing when filtering using cotton, it doesn't prevent all the insoluble junk from going into the syringe, correct? It's just better than not filtering at all?

Correct and yes, it doesn't filter everything, but it's better than nothing. Just make sure to use sterile cotton, so you don't get cotton fever
And maybe look into micron filter http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/481622-Micron-Filtering-Mega-Thread-and-FAQ

No I mean before you let the cotton sit and possibly grow bacteria run a tiny amount of water through the cotton by drawing it through.