• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Do some people have our brains wired where dopaminergigs don't help motivation?

oar9fi

Bluelighter
Trying to think of how to explain. I have never really been a fan of using things like adderall for when I need to get a lot of work done. sure, it helps a bit. Also I have experimented with many RC stimulants and all of them bring a bit of anxiety to varying degrees but don't help with motivation to get stuff done.

However, back around early to mid 2000's i was an opioid addict and for the most part I had a much different reaction to moderate doses than my friends who just wanted to chill, me on the other hand would feell like sweeping floors, wiping counters etc. Well in 2006 I lost my brother to an OD so was lucky enough to have my Dr put me on 60mg of methadone a day. Methadone worked the same way. I would often take less than 60mg so on days where I needed to get a lot done I could take extra. 2009 I got off opioids entirely & so far so good.

But even though back in the days I was using I considered tramadol worthless, now I find I can use it and it often gives me similar effect like say my bathroom is a mess. I just don't really notice it but with even a weak opioid in my system I notice the mess and clean it up.

So my question is is it possible that either my brain has been re trained to where the mu-opioid receptors are performing a different function due to my past addiction? Or possible downstream effects on dopamine from mu-opioid activation? Anyone else experience this? Any ideas & input are appreciated. -oar

There's more effects to opioids than just mu-agonism. For instance many of them act as histamine releasers, increasing stimulatory activity in the brain.

However, motivation to complete tasks is situationally dependent. If you are despondent enough even cocaine/methamphetamine won't get you to get off your butt.

A google search would tell you:

adjective: despondent

in low spirits from loss of hope or courage.

Opioids speed me up, while on stimulants I have problems getting out of the chair or bed I shot up in - mostly I sit by my laptop, writing crap all over the internet.

Because you realize Opiods and stimulants are similar its literally that the extra glutamate from amphetamines adds a CFS type feeling and cortisol/stress hormones tire out the body. ADHD medicaiton needs to do what stimulants do without having Upper like properties. Then youd have more fluid energy.