• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do sativa and indica buds really smell different

shortjazzdude

Greenlighter
Supposedly sativa usually smells more sweet or fruity while indica usually smells more stinky or musty. But then there are strains of sativa like "skunk" which smell more stimky and musty. I'm talking about the fresh bud, not how they smell when burnt.

IME indicas generally smell more "spicy" and I guess more "savory". Sativas generally smell very floral and sweet. This is not a definitive rule for all indicas and sativas however, some indicas may smell sweet, and some sativas might smell a little hashy like an indica.

But one thing is for sure; shitty weed won't smell good, indica or sativa. That includes your "skunk".

IME and others. Usually very "piney" and "earthy/dirt" smell is indica. Like mentioned above, usually the very fruity smelling ones tend to be sativas. The reason you can't really rely on smell though is because of hybrids. But if it smells really good, you bet it's gonna be good bud!

IME indicas generally smell more "spicy" and I guess more "savory". Sativas generally smell very floral and sweet. This is not a definitive rule for all indicas and sativas however, some indicas may smell sweet, and some sativas might smell a little hashy like an indica.
well said +1

I've never been able to attribute a specific scent to sativas or indicas.... the groups just seem too broad, too diverse to try and pigeonhole into a set mold.

Most strains smell different and often even two plants of the same strain will have different smells when grown from seed. It depends on what terpene profile they have inherited.

I don't really think so, at least, across the board...I do think indica/sativa type buds generally have a different 'look', if you will, ranging in color schemes and what not. That being said, I always think of the smell of 'Trainwreck', which is really piney, and usually associate that with indica bud in a broad kind of way...

Yeah definitely. You know it's a sativa when it smells real fruity or herbal, kinda like oregano or some type of spice. Sometimes they can smell sour or lemony. Indica has that DANK smell or like skunk. If it's that real pungent thick smell, it's probably some indica. Imagine dark smells vs. light smells, dark being indica and sativa being light.

There's some crazy strains now days being bread just for smell and taste but normally sativa is or fruity while indica is more skunky

I dont like how similar many sativas seem. The Trainwreck at my clinic smells like Green Crack, Blue Dream, Krypt Keeper. You could have all 4 jars open on the counter and they all pretty much smell the same, and I imagine they probably taste the same. The indicas and hybrids tend to be a lot more varied in smells and tastes.