Do police run warrant checks on routine traffic stops ?

Lots of cities have this now. Yes, a camera scans and recognizes license plates within a large viewing area, and automatically checks for warrants and such.

wow, that's pretty crazy and i suppose the yay area is not gonna be the first to adopt such 1984-esque technologies...

The notion that that exists scares me...(Not because I don't believe it, it's really not that hard to make something like that, but because it's acceptable and legal to use...How come wide-band IP/port sniffing is illegal but wide-band police-take-you-to-jail crime sniffer is not? I might have to start a separate thread on this device and the legality of it...or illegality for that matter.

Thanks for the responses guys

Here in Texas they can stop you anywhere in public (yes even standing in your front yard) and ask for ID. If you don't have ID they can detain you and take you to the station for fingerprints if they want to be assholes. In south padre island they have an ordinance where they fine you for not having one. They use these laws mainly against illegal aliens.

Where are your papers boy!
damn didn't know that shit happens;
it will only be due time till they use it on us
for our "Safety" of course , they think we all fools...

Here in Texas they can stop you anywhere in public (yes even standing in your front yard) and ask for ID. If you don't have ID they can detain you and take you to the station for fingerprints if they want to be assholes. In south padre island they have an ordinance where they fine you for not having one. They use these laws mainly against illegal aliens.

Yea...vagrancy laws, right?

Where are your papers boy!
damn didn't know that shit happens;
it will only be due time till they use it on us
for our "Safety" of course , they think we all fools...

:! = Hahaha...quick, stockpile all the aluminum, we're going underground...