• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do Opioids cause Infertility/ trigger menopause

Retrnoflivingdead3

Greenlighter
Hi i'm sorry if this has been repeated, but I did a search and it came up with 0. So anyway, i've been using opiates pretty much every week or more for about 2 years say 40ml methadone up to 3x per week. I'm trying to cut back but - it's never easy - have mental health complications. My periods seem to have gone weird suddenly after being very regular, I had a period that was extra long and kept stopping an starting and now my following period is 14days over due. I have a non hormonal IUD and have even done 2 pregnancy tests to be so safe side - both.
negative.
Could the opiates suddenly be tipping my hormones into early menopause (my Mum had hers early ish and I'm about 3 years off of that age) :(
Very sad was hoping to get myself straight and try for a baby, knew time was running out but life has been complicated (partner is long term user). We wanted things to be more secure and appropriate for a baby.
I would go to the local addaction for help but they have been pretty ineffectual down here and I don't want it to show up on an enhanced disclosure in case I want to adopt.
Any thoughts welcome :)

It?s also possible that your opiate use is causing it as well. You can ask your doctor to run labs to see if you?re entering menopause and it?s your choice whether you disclose your opiate use. I?d advise you to, but I do know what you mean about the adoption thing so I can?t blame you.

You don't happen to take ibuprofen regularly by any chance? My ex had issues with it totally screwing up her periods. They would stop and start, be of unusual lengths and more or less be a real problem. She would take ibuprofen when her period was clearly out of sight, because it was a superior pain reliever for her. But once it would get close to period time, she'd have to switch to Tylenol or Aspirin. Just thought I'd share that in case it might apply.

OP, I was over-using oxycodone and lost a bunch of weight. I was 40 at the time. My OB-GYN didn't have any answers for me as to why my periods stopped. Put me on estrogen patches thinking early menopause. What happened is when I quit using, the weight started to come back and periods resumed. How are you doing now?