• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do Opiates and/or Benzos store in fat cells?

Xo.QueenK

Greenlighter
Ok so long time reader, first time poster. Been using opiates for about 4 years, mostly on some off. Used about 60mgs oxy started about 2x weekly and progressed to 3-5x weekly. Snorted 90% of the time. IV'd Max 10% of the time (I learned quick how big the demon of iV use can be). 24 5"5' 120lbs yet I couldn't get nearly as high as my BF of 200lbs pure muscle, and we began same time/consistency. Strange- seemed I always had a higher tolerence. I'd have to mix with benzos to feel like him.
On benzos, been taking any/all those in lower doses for years. Get prescribed 2mg kpins 2x daily, before was on 2mg Xanax daily (not that I didn't go over here and there, esp more lately..since tolerance builds quickly and lowering it is near impossible).

This is all background info for my question...
Do Opiates or Benzos store in fat cells? I believe the answer would be no, otherwise they would stay in your system longer, like THC for example, however I'm finding conflicting answers on the Internet.
If they stored in fat cells then wouldn't that also mean if you lost weight you would also reduce tolerence this way? I have quit doing both opiates and benzos (for the most part, still use a teeny bit for anxiety). Just started working out again and was wondering..since it's near impossible to reduce tolerence to both of those, would losing fat further lower tolerence, in addition with abstinence from the drugs? Any insights would be helpful. Thanks! Xo

Last edited:
Benzos do distribute (stored is not the best word to describe) into many tissues, with fatty tissue often having the greatest extent of distribution due to the high lipophilicity of most BZDs. Most have a moderate to extremely long elimination half life and can be detected in biological fluids from around two to as long as 30+ days after stopping use.

Benzos can have various pharmacokinetic parameters change as the patient gains or loses fat. Generally the volume of distribution and elimination half life are increased with more fat mass, the max concentration and time to reach it are sometimes affected, and the actual dose to give the desired effect is often the same regardless of the amount of adipose tissue present.

Tolerance is a multifaceted phenomenom and the distribution phase has some role in it, but it is very minor. Losing fat wont do much of anything for lowering your tolerance, only time will.

Opioids, for the most part, are also highly distributed to tissues, but probably less to the fat cells compared to benzos.