Site Feedback Do mods appreciate when users report threads or posts?

bennyZA

Bluelighter
I sometimes stumble on posts that should very obviously should be closed, sourcing, pricing, drug testing type questions. Is it annoying for mods to get reports on a regular basis, or is it useful?

100% useful, if you mod just one not so busy forum it's not too bad to keep up with everything. But mods covering busier or multiple forums often can't do all the reading themselves.

Solid reports allow for a much easier workflow, and I personally never find them irritating. :)

Good to know. After 4 years on BL, I have a good idea of what flies and what doesn't. I'll keep my eyes open.

It's very useful and we appreciate it greatly! :)

100% useful, if you mod just one not so busy forum it's not too bad to keep up with everything. But mods covering busier or multiple forums often can't do all the reading themselves.

Solid reports allow for a much easier workflow, and I personally never find them irritating. :)

^This.

Reports of any kind are always welcome, appreciated, and make the job much much easier.

Yes, big time. I mean, if a user is being nuts about it, just reporting everything in site that doesn't even violate the rules, it can get annoying.. but, if they report correctly or at least do their best to be right about it, it saves us a ton of work and is very appreciated.

Yes it helps. It actually annoys me a bit when a member tells someone that they broke a rule and that a mod will probably do something about it, but then doesn't report the post. It's even worse when there's 5 people saying that but nobody reports it, because it just looks bad. Sometimes it can be a few days before I go through that thread and see the post(s) that violated the rules, and it could have been dealt with a lot quicker if it was reported instead of the person(s) just mentioning in the thread that the other persons posts was against the rules. Mods check reported posts daily (and also get notifications if they have that set up) and usually right when signing on, so it really is the most efficient way to bring these posts to their attention without the hassle of PMing.

On the other hand, some people may take it to an extreme, and we actually have an 'abuse of the report function' infraction for this reason. It [the report function] is meant to be reserved for reporting posts that blatantly break the rules, or in some cases to suggest moderator action (moving or merging a thread) but within reason. If the way you are using the report feature is not helping, the mods will kindly let you know, and if you don't let up then it may be handled with the infraction system. That shouldn't deter anyone from reporting problematic posts though, as it's welcome unless/until you are told otherwise, and you would not receive an infraction for misuse of it unless you already were warned to give it as rest.

i seventh this - it's extremely helpful.

alasdair