Mental Health Do i need antidepressants?/taper

Lucy20

Ex-Bluelighter
A couple years ago something bad happened and my doctor put me on mirtazipine for sleep but also i was depressed, but anyone would have been.
I've noticed my feelings feel more dull. I still get sad and i don't get as happy as I used to.
They do help me sleep but i do not like how I feel on them. I never in my life considered suicide but since I have been on these i have thought about it a few times and though I wouldn't i still don't like thinking that way.
Im on 30mg and not in my home city to see my doctor. How would i taper these? How much to stop and for how long. I don't want to rush it but i want to be off them and see if i feel myself again.

Hey Lucy,

If you are going to taper, know that the half life is 20-40 hours, so in about four days it would be adjusted to the new dose. The side effects can be nasty, but everyone is different in how fast the can taper. I would start at a 10% decrease every four days, and see how you feel. That is a safe way to go, considering how long you've been on it. Two years, correct?

But you really should consult a doctor first.

Keep us updated if you decide to do this.

No one "needs" antidepressants. But you gotta taper if you want to quit them.

Call your doctor and tell him your quitting them and how you should do it etc.

Dont drop down below 22.5mg the first drop.

For what it's worth: the grass can sometimes appear greener on the other side, but not really be once you're there.

I've just tapered (with my doctor's help) my Lexapro from 40mgs to 10mg, did it over 4 weeks. In fact I'm starting my Mirtazapine taper tomorrow. I'm on 30mg and will reduce again, over another month. One at a time. This isn't the first time I've tapered Mirtazapine, went off it before and I just took it slow and didn't experience withdrawals. I always make sure I have Valium handy when reducing.
I ran out of Pregabalin on Thursday and I've had to go cold turkey. Hasn't been too bad although cutting down would have been ideal.
My doctor is replacing all of my current/ weaned medications this week. He's suggested Zoloft and then a sleeper of some sort for nights.

Thank you all for the replies, I'm waiting until im back home and going to try then.
If i find i feel worse off them i will take them again. Its just seems my emotions are a bit to dulled

Tapering is usually recommended, but I find it strange I've had absolutely no withdrawals since quitting Effexor XR for 11 days now.

I was on Effexor XR for close to a year, started in January. I took 75 mg in the am and 75 mg in the pm. I decided to quit because I didn't think it was doing anything anyway. Antidepressants usually don't work for me. I'm treatment resistant. I only tried it out of desperation. When I quit, I was expecting brain zaps, horrible things and having to open the capsule to count out beads in order to taper slowly, but nothing...

I'm prescribed Gabapentin and was taking that while quitting so maybe that helped? I don't know if Gabapentin completely abolished withdrawals or if I just got off lucky. I'm grateful either way.

Lucy, I hope you find what you need to feel better. It's all trial and error. Gotta try at least. ❤️

If you feel bad now you'll feel even worse if you stop taking it especially on your own.

Is this only drug you take? If so you're lucky.

I looked up this drug and the lowest dose is 15 mg. So if you want to try just chop it and half. Stay on that for a bit then half again, ect.

I've tapered off drugs on my own twice. Not good experiences at all.

I was put on daily benzo use of clonazepam which I was rapidly tapered off of, leading to self-medicating and running in circles, before I finally sought help from medical professionals again. I was given Remeron(mirtazapine) for the benzo withdrawals. I remember being bumped up to 45 mg from 7.5mg, and to come back off I just used a pill splitter and dropped every two weeks 10% of my dosage. It took some time to feel 'normal' tapering slowly off of it, but not like months/years that some people claim to feel discontinuation problems for on a certain forum. Even if that were possible, it seems to only happen to people who CT anti-deps, who've been on them for a few years.

Be careful that your outer circumstances are as optimal as possible before you decide to start coming off of any SSRI/SNRI/MAOI, as depression is usually aggravated by environmental conditions, so the anti-depressant you're taking could get you into a better place in life before you start cutting back your dosage. That's what I wish I would have done. I'm thinking of going back on them until I can figure out where I should be heading in life, I don't want to die in this place I'm in at the moment. If I remember correctly things roll off my back easier on some medication for depression and I can execute major decisions that I haven't been able to do since being sober.

It's great to hear the OP looking at quitting Anti d's...especially in light of her recent experience

*** mod edit - please don't advise people to go on or off any drug. simply state your experience ***

I've worked in mental health on and off for a long time and wouldn't even touch an ssri with my finger...after what I've seen they give me the heebijeebies...don't get me wrong I'm not totally anti-medication and I've seen anti d's save peoples lives but they are massively over prescribed and they are terrible. terrible drugs

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel bad now you'll feel even worse if you stop taking it especially on your own.

Is this only drug you take? If so you're lucky.

I looked up this drug and the lowest dose is 15 mg. So if you want to try just chop it and half. Stay on that for a bit then half again, ect.

I've tapered off drugs on my own twice. Not good experiences at all.

I am also on benzos so that may help. I am down to 15mg now from 30 and i have zero effects from that. I still sleep after 15 but don't feel as numbed up.

It's great to hear the OP looking at quitting Anti d's...especially in light of her recent experience

*** mod edit - please don't advise people to go on or off any drug. simply state your experience ***

I've worked in mental health on and off for a long time and wouldn't even touch an ssri with my finger...after what I've seen they give me the heebijeebies...don't get me wrong I'm not totally anti-medication and I've seen anti d's save peoples lives but they are massively over prescribed and they are terrible. terrible drugs

My ex dropped paxil cold Turkey and went so crazy he is now my ex. Took him months to get back semi normal. I hate these drugs

Ok keep us posted or me at least. You might need some melatonin for sleep. If you're sleeping well you're doing well.

*** I’m not recommending tapering off this medication. It could result very badly. I posted if you want to do it go a safe route. Be sure to check out how you feel. It may be hard to recognize you’re doing badly. You will most likely feel very depressed. If so just start back taking this drug. You may be able to do this but it will be tough. Good luck and be careful.

Last edited: