• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Do I have Xanax problem? Need advice.

Hannah2308

Greenlighter
I am 21 years old and have been taking either Valium (5mg 4x a day), klonopin (forgot the dose), or Xanax (0.5mg 3x a day) for the last 3 years.. My psychiatrist started me on a low dose of klonopin and lexapro 10mg when I first started seeing him. I took the medication as prescribed and I began to feel better, but still had bad physical symptoms of anxiety. He switched me to Xanax 0.5 3x a day while also taking lexapro 10 mg and propranolol 20 mg as needed for presentations at school or when I’m in social situations that make me anxious. Then, I told him I was worried about addiction to benzos and wanted to stop taking them so he switched me to Valium... but that didn’t work. So now I’m back to taking 1.5mg of Xanax a day.. the problem is is that I take all 3 pills at the same time. Sometimes I will take 1.5mg of Xanax before class or before I go to work (I work night shift). I feel like it doesn’t make me act different. Sometimes it makes me feel happier than usual, but I’m worried I’m starting to have a problem. I feel like I never really have anxiety anymore like I used to. Ever since I moved away to college I’ve been sleeping a lot, which I think is because I work 3 12 hour night shifts a week and that throws off my sleep schedule. How can I stop taking this? I have tried and I have gotten down to just taking 0.5 mg a day, but then I will have a bad day and end up taking 1.5 mg at once and then I’m back where I started. My psychiatrist just increased my lexapro to 15 mg about two weeks ago but I can’t tell if it’s helping. I want to go back to taking Xanax as needed, but I don’t like who I am when I’m constantly worried... I’m not sure if it’s the Xanax making me have no worries or if I’m starting to overcome anxiety in general. Any advice helps. Thanks.

Unless your anxiety before was unbearable (ie., impairing your quality of life by not permitting you to work, go to school, socialize etc.) I would recommend getting off of benzos. If your anxiety really isnt that bad and you are unable to save it for truly necessary occasions (such as panic attacks -- though not all anxiety disorders include panic attacks), i would recommend getting off of them. Long-term benzodiazepine use is associated with neurotoxicity and permanent changes to the brain. Don't use them if you don't need them absolutely. They are overprescribed. Use them only if things like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) are ineffective. If you want to try getting off ask for your physician to switch you to an equivalent amount of diazepam and taper you off.

Last edited:
social anxiety often fades with age. you might feel a bit of anxiety as you get off the xanax because getting off benzos can cause anxiety, but that will fade.

I've taken zoloft, trintellix (currently) lexipro, buspirone, and divalproex in the search for an antianxiety med that works as well as Xanax/klonopen. But after having a grand mal seizure, falling down stairs, and having a car crash w/a concussion i can say that long term use of the benzos is best avoided, not to mention the memory problems they cause. Buspirone I take sometimes before work to settle me down. I only take xanax for flights now.

Since you ask, my advice is definitely consult with your psychiatrist regarding quitting. I wouldn't encourage attempting this on your own, since it has come to my attention that people have had frightening experiences.

Attempting to get of benzos suddenly and on your own could be fatal.

Dang i gave some shitty advice in retrospect. I gave the person a lecture on the general evils of benzos while underemphasizing the alternatives and solutions (though i did topically, CBT and benzos).

Hey OP! I will level with you, from what you've described. You are likely to be physically dependent. Benzodiazepines aren't something to take for longer than 2 weeks. The really hard part about this situation is getting perspective. When you're just living your life, you're not necessarily playing the role of the stenographer. However, all of the other information that you've provided is helpful as well.

I always advise Benzodidazepines are not meant to be prescribed for more than two weeks. If you're going to take Benzodiazepine and there's no possible way around it I would highly advise not taking more than a 0.5mg Alprazolam. It's not often advertised that there can be permanent cognition issues resulting from chronic Benzodiazepine.

You can do it. Mind over matter. Knowing Benzodiazepines are temporary, try to work on your problems while on the medication to get a better understanding of yourself