• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Do Books/Movies/Games That Portray Drug Abuse Harm Anti-Prohibition Efforts?

greywoodfoxhall

Bluelighter
The title says it all... What do you guys think? Was William S. Burroughs a pioneer or a junkie that screwed us all over, for example?

Peace,
~f.xy

I don't think this is suited to this forum really. It doesn't abide my the basic guidelines -

Welcome to Drugs in the Media!

In an attempt to keep things civilized, a few guidelines have been written. They're pretty easy to follow, so please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with them:

General board rules apply, and can be found in the Bluelight User Agreement. Lively discussion is welcome and encouraged, but name-calling and flaming will not be tolerated. And as always, do not attempt to purchase or sell drugs in any thread. The information will be edited, and your posting privileges may be potentially removed as a result. Don’t even try it.

WHAT TO POST:
Begin new threads with published news items (don't just start a thread with a comment or a question)
. If you read something in a magazine or newspaper (or watch something) you'd like to discuss here, find a corresponding article on the internet you can post.
All news stories must be drug-related and discussion oriented

So, like delete this, find a review of William S. Burrough's "Junky" and ask if his writing the book demonized IDUs? I can't seem to not fuck up in this forum (unfortunately it's not just in this forum, on this site, or online... it's in every aspect of my life. bleh.). Apologies again... and yeah, once you confirm my plan is the correct approach I'll torch this thread.

Is William S. Burrough's "Junky" a new release? This forums mostly about new articles in the media that relate to drugs, mostly news items. Each section of BL has it's own unique guidelines of what is ok and what's not for that part.

It doesn't matter if you make some mistakes, you seem pretty new, it's no big deal. I've been around since before the 2005 my profile says and i still fuck up, I got an infraction on my profile at the end of last year from 'the lounge' for just posting there and trying to contribute, no warning, just a straight violation that stays on my profile till the end of this year.

If you are going to post any drug related articles here just do a quick check of the 1st page (if it's a new article, which is what's wanted mostly I think) or use the 'search forum' feature on the top right hand corner of your BL page, to make sure the same thing, or similar hasn't already been posted.

There are a few places in BL you can ask a question like you have for this thread I think, ie 'Do Books/Movies/Games That Portray Drug Abuse Harm Anti-Prohibition Efforts?' Maybe places like Drug Culture, The Lounge, possibly others. Just goto the main page - http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/ and browse the forums on the lower left side.

I might be incorrect and this thread might be fine, im not a mod and none of them have said anything about it yet, so I don't know. Leave it up till they reply.

"Junky" is a book from back around the beatnik era. I suppose if you aren't an opiate addict, the name Burroughs doesn't mean anything to you just like the name Leary would mean nothing to someone with no interest in hallucinogens. But, he went on to write "Naked Lunch" and was basically famous for living to a ripe old age doing IV drugs. He's the priest in "Drugstore Cowboy," fun fact. Can we get a mod to weigh in on this?

I mean how current is current? Would the book need to be a work of non-fiction or a movie based on a "true story"?

Last edited:
Art (such as film or novels) open the doors of perception to the drug scene and allow the discussions to be spoken, heard and hopefully acted upon to create lasting change.