• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do Antidepressants Reduce Desire to Use Drugs?

SafeBet

Greenlighter
Hey guys, loooong time lurker, first time poster. I have never heard of antidepressants possessing such an ability, but it makes sense in my mind that it would sort of replace the pleasure or stimulation that drugs give you. Obviously, I'm not a doctor! But if they do, I would get on them instanly.

Without turning this into a journal entry, lately I've accepted that I have a problem with alcohol. It's not taking over my life yet, I just use drugs, pretty much alcohol, but also the occasional opiate, way too frequently. I smoke weed alot too, but I don't think it's a problem.

I've been trying to reduce my intake, and while it has been successful to an extent, I still drink a fair amount, probably less than most true alcoholics, but I still go through off and on binges occasionally. As I believe that my problems derive from my off and on struggles with depression, I was hoping the alleviation of my depression would help me further reduce my drinking. Do antidepressants work this way, and has anyone have any personal experience with such a phenomenon? Thanks for reading, it started off a small paragraph and ended up a novel haha.

If depression is the cause of your use then treating it should help you stop. Doesnt have to be AD drugs, though.

Well, I also just love intoxicants, the ritual and social aspect of drugs, and being intoxicated. I mean, it's fun! It's not totally depression though, but I can't believe it's not a factor. So it's part behavioral and part psychological I guess.

It is fun. Im not so sure replacing booze and opiates (positive on opis) with ADs alone would do much of anything though for that.

Hey guys, loooong time lurker, first time poster. I have never heard of antidepressants possessing such an ability, but it makes sense in my mind that it would sort of replace the pleasure or stimulation that drugs give you. Obviously, I'm not a doctor! But if they do, I would get on them instanly.

Without turning this into a journal entry, lately I've accepted that I have a problem with alcohol. It's not taking over my life yet, I just use drugs, pretty much alcohol, but also the occasional opiate, way too frequently. I smoke weed alot too, but I don't think it's a problem.

I've been trying to reduce my intake, and while it has been successful to an extent, I still drink a fair amount, probably less than most true alcoholics, but I still go through off and on binges occasionally. As I believe that my problems derive from my off and on struggles with depression, I was hoping the alleviation of my depression would help me further reduce my drinking. Do antidepressants work this way, and has anyone have any personal experience with such a phenomenon? Thanks for reading, it started off a small paragraph and ended up a novel haha.

IME take it with a grain of salt
no bs AD's will numb you out
not that you wont think about abusing drugs, more like the AD wont allow you to

Hmm, that is a concern. I will definitely take that into consideration. I've heard that if you have family that responds well to ADs, then you have a better chance of likewise responding. My mom takes escitalopram and it really helped her, so if I do get on ADs that, hopefully, is true. But it's not a certainty either way.

There is still ongoing research on using anti-depressants and anti-psychotics in dealing with different kind of addictions and some have already off-label uses for those such as aripiprazole which is used for cocaine cravings. It is also in clinical trials for opiate addiction and although I am prescribed aripiprazole as a mood stabilizer for my bi-polar it still does lessen opiate cravings and the high doesn't feel like the same as before using aripiprazole.

Anyhow getting dealt with any underlying issue and being properly treated with drugs that work for you will definately help in staying and wanting to be sober. My first abstinences from drugs started pretty much soon after I had learned how to cope with bi-polar and issues related to it as well as after I found right drugs for treating it.

That's relieving to hear, that at least it's a possibility. I'm not trying to use ADs as a cure all, but rather another method of support, if that makes sense. Not to venture a bit off topic, but I'm not quite sure if I want to be completely sober. I definitely want to reduce my drinking to as low of a level as possible, but I'm not sure if I'm ready or want to be completely sober.

That's relieving to hear, that at least it's a possibility. I'm not trying to use ADs as a cure all, but rather another method of support, if that makes sense. Not to venture a bit off topic, but I'm not quite sure if I want to be completely sober. I definitely want to reduce my drinking to as low of a level as possible, but I'm not sure if I'm ready or want to be completely sober.

as a fellow boozer no matter how hard you try, trying to drink in moderation when you're an alcoholic is damn near impossible
simply because booze is the main addiction that you constantly say to yourself, just one more?
and by the time you know it you're already drunk or shitfaced lol
you need to come to terms with the truth man, you an I both know it cant be done

and by saying you don't think you're ready only confirms you wont be able to control your alcohol intake
keep in mind you need to stop drinking before you start any AD
only way to end the madness is to quit drinking altogether and a want to be sober

IME interesting enough booze can be the source of your issues as it CAN cause mental issues down the road such as depression and anxiety
one could even mistake anxiety and depression with alcohol WD yeah it can really make you feel like shit i deal with that shit everyday
even then if you cut back on drinking all your doing is prolonging the WD

IMO if i were you i would go into detox and see how i respond youll feel a shit ton better being sober and if you still feel a need for a AD then go for it
in all reality it wont hurt to get sober nothing to be scared about either

i myself am going to detox again....and this is coming from a person who wonders...who do people not drink?

Last edited:
Have you ever been sober? How did you feel then? For me i know i dint need them since I've been perfectly happy when sober.

look into bupropion. not known to "numb you out" and has been shown to reduce cravings ...cravings in general, for food, cigarettes, and I don't know, maybe drugs? might be worth a try.