View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT breaking through?

Greenfox

Greenlighter
Greetings All, here to ask about the body trip side of DMT.

So i've experimented with some small doses, 15-20mg, like what i've found, and ready to explore further.
But the physical sensations i get are uncomfortable. I get a feeling of sickness in my stomach and chest, and i think i'm sometimes forgetting to breathe (but unsure if this is perceived or actual), All this gives me a feeling of physical anxiety in my body.
The psychedelic side, and telepathic entities i'm all good with, love it! but the physical anxiety not so much.

Do the physical discomforts subside in higher doses? Or does the body trip intensify?

Any idea what plant the DMT was extracted from? Is it a clear/white crystal/powder or is an orange/yellow/brown substance?

Certain impurities can make the experience a bit rough around the edges compared to pure DMT. Some people like it, I don’t.

-GC

Any idea what plant the DMT was extracted from? Is it a clear/white crystal/powder or is an orange/yellow/brown substance?

Certain impurities can make the experience a bit rough around the edges compared to pure DMT. Some people like it, I don’t.

-GC
I have no idea of the plant source. The DMT is an off-white / light yellow fluffy powder. Crystals under magnify glass.

I'm wondering if i just have to acclimatise my body, and get used to it. I hear Ayahuasca makes people physically sick the first few times, and later experiences they are fine. DMT being the psychoactive part of ayahuasca, perhaps its similar process?

Last edited:
I always hated low dose DMT (5-20mg). It was just very strange, makes your body look very short and blunt, and I always had very negative thoughts like "why do you like this? why do you like this drug?". Low dose DMT is not worth it at all. It's a "buy the ticket, take the ride" sort of thing. Go big or go home.

With that being said DMT is NOT a recreational drug. It's an extremely powerful psychedelic that should be used sparingly and without intentions of getting high and feeling good. If you use DMT with the intentions of getting high and feeling good you are not only missing the point but you're probably going to have a bad time.

I suggest if you use DMT to go in the 35-75mg range. This is where you truly "trip" and can gain from the experience.

I completely forget my body exists on 35-50mg doses. 50mg+ is where you start to break through. A lot of people compare it to being strapped to a rocket, however I always felt like I was falling through the earth in the opposite direction. Intense butterflies in your stomach.

Last edited:
Yes DMT definitely takes some getting used to, I actually prefer starting people on lower doses and slowly working up to break through levels over 3-5 experiences, sometimes more.

-GC

Yep, low doses just make you too aware that something is off and I end up just noticing the body load. Similar for lysergamides in that way.
Fully engulfed by a solid dose, the body just melts away and you’re on a projection field rather than inside your aching body.
Seconding what others have said and adding a “welcome to Bluelight” message to ya, @Greenfox !
Think about cliff diving/jumping. If one tries to half jump, they’ll catch themselves on the rocks and get hurt. Full commitment allows us to clear the rocks and ride the ride, so to speak. Good that you’re titrating and being careful, though; more fun lies ahead, as you are able!

Yea this is where I diverge from you guys cuz I’ve found the opposite. I actually didn’t fully break through for afull 2 years and when I finally did it was magic. Nowadays my relationship with DMT is where I don’t really get much anxiety or issues on any dose.

But I also think this is again related to purity. I thought about it, and visually isn’t a good way to tell. The best way to know your DMT is pure is by smell, it should have zero smell. I’ve even had folks say it’s not legit cuz it had no smell but like most other drugs the smell is from impurities not the DMT.

I find even nearly white/crystalline product, if it has that smell (mothballs, lilacs, plastic-y) it will be rough on the come up until you settle in to the experience.

If I’m guiding someone I start them on lower dosed experiences (aka decent visuals but not full body dissociation) with very pure product then after 2-5 experiences if it seems they’ll be ok I go further.

I had a friend who had the opposite approach, he’d give you a monster blast your first time to ensure you went all the way. He also had another one of our friends dive head first through a glass table, never wanting to repeat the experience ever again.

I’ll say this til I die that slow steady changes win the race, sure you get faster results thecother way, but IMO the risk is too great that you scar someone for life.

Edit- My latest gal I got her up to break through in 4 experiences and it seemed like the way to go with her. She had such anxiety over it all that a full blast first go would have overwhelmed her.

Now when it comes to other psychedelics I don’t tip toe as much, LSD and Mescaline you need to dive into a little bit more. And MDMA stays a standard dose all the time.

-GC

You’re right on - Here some wise words! Safety first and also, it;s worth waitingfor!

I should follow up with the statement that while I do it one way, there is benefit too in sometimes jumping right in. I’ve been called over cautious on more than one occasion ;)

-GC

You folks just made me realize yet another in the millions of reasons to love psychedelics - many drugs don’t allow one to survive even minor dose calculation mistakes.
Caution is godly and leads to more development. Some who got thrown in with too much never ever feel safe trying it or another substance again.
I bet shamen think carefully on dose per patient and work like you - getting the right effect for the patient needed at the time.

The last fully immersive trip I had was somewhat terrifying, I know it doesn't last long like an LSD bad trip, but for few minutes it's scary! I don't know if i fully "broke thru", I don't even weight the doses out. This isn't a science really what about the all dmt residue in the pipe? Sometimes i can get fucked from an empty pipe. Who knows how big a smoked dose of anything really is? I really prefer swallowing drugs, seems more exact. I going to eventually try an MAOI with oral DMT, though i'm a bit nervous and will be weighing dose carefully for that, which i haven't been doing for pipeloads because the DMT sticks to everything i put it in and the little tray thing the scale comes with is a bitch too, i figure gelcaps should be easier.....

The last fully immersive trip I had was somewhat terrifying, I know it doesn't last long like an LSD bad trip, but for few minutes it's scary! I don't know if i fully "broke thru", I don't even weight the doses out. This isn't a science really what about the all dmt residue in the pipe? Sometimes i can get fucked from an empty pipe. Who knows how big a smoked dose of anything really is? I really prefer swallowing drugs, seems more exact. I going to eventually try an MAOI with oral DMT, though i'm a bit nervous and will be weighing dose carefully for that, which i haven't been doing for pipeloads because the DMT sticks to everything i put it in and the little tray thing the scale comes with is a bitch too, i figure gelcaps should be easier.....

You bring up a good point on the leftover DMT resin. I use two pipes for smoking DMT, a small aluminum one hitter and a Glass Vapor Genie designed pretty much to smoke DMT.

For both of them I make sure they are clean as can be before each experience. For the hitter I’ll take a knife and scrape out everything I can, and for the GVG I take the leftover vaped material and save it.

Usually the stuff from the hitter isn’t worth saving but the leftovers from the GVG are, or any vaporizer that works in a similar fashion. Keep a jar where you tap out the leftovers and once you have enough perform an extraction on it.

It’s important to have a clean pipe cuz not only can you get an unwanted experience but the effects of DMT pipe resin are rough around the edges. I often wonder if it’s DMT-oxide which is the culprit for the overall more intense body effects that can throw some people into a panic?

Btw for anyone interested Im working on a full guide right now for both growing an extracting DMT from Phalaris brachystachys. Probably won’t be ready til Fall but it’ll allow anyone to easily grow their own and extract at home. I’m blown away at how easy this grass is to grow.

-GC

Some who got thrown in with too much never ever feel safe trying it or another substance again.

I've always liked the ocean analogy. If someone never swam goes into the ocean it is better to ride the little waves first and build up to the bigger ones. Someone jumping in and getting their ass kicked by a bigger wave may not go back in.

I like lighter doses too. I get milder trips if I use say 10-15 mgs. But 20-25 I can be fully immersive. I too built up from small to big. I will say I did get my ass kicked early on. Just one time for some reason 15 mgs floored me. I forgot I was human. But yeah, weighing is important.

I've always liked the ocean analogy. If someone never swam goes into the ocean it is better to ride the little waves first and build up to the bigger ones. Someone jumping in and getting their ass kicked by a bigger wave may not go back in.

I like lighter doses too. I get milder trips if I use say 10-15 mgs. But 20-25 I can be fully immersive. I too built up from small to big. I will say I did get my ass kicked early on. Just one time for some reason 15 mgs floored me. I forgot I was human. But yeah, weighing is important.

Sometimes you get the person who rides the big waves the first time and absolutely loves it, but a majority find it a little scary, sure most will give it another go but there will be a few that still get a little too close to drowning for comfort. Often those people are the ones that need it the most..

I also got my ass kicked early on too, I started with an odd form though, DMT extracted from Chaliponga which isn’t known to be nice and gentle lol. Many years later when I went back to Chali my first experience back told me “I wasn’t ready for Chali DMT yet but I’ve earned my keep so to speak and can now be allowed in.”

Gosh last night I had an experience that rocked me, even many years later this stuff never ceases to amaze me.

-GC

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Not gone for the deep dive yet, once i do i'll report back. maybe these experiences will help others just starting out...