View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT and LSD comparison

nyancloud

Greenlighter
I know there are plenty discussions about the comparisons, but I just can't figure out some things..

I have taken LSD for my first time (125ug) and it was an amazing trip for 13-14 hours. Really clean and beautiful. But at the peak it was like I couldn't tell if I am human anymore, I wasn't able to speak and didn't even know if I was on trip which went on for about 3 hours maybe. Time passed slowly and I though I was in flowing universe. Everything was in patterns and I could see a chain of life - everything was connected. Huge euphoria. I was thinking thoughts that cannot be explainable. Like I could solve anything in life, I knew all the answers and became so wise. Shame I don't remember the genius thoughts I was thinking. It's hard to explain but it was really, really intense.

But the main question is - how can it be more intense thank the peak of LSD? I mean a lot of people say DMT is much much more intense. I couldn't personally imagine going more intense than that I just wrote. It was the craziest experience ever in my life on LSD. Maybe because it was my first time and the LSD was really good.

But anyways, I want to try DMT someday but I just got scared because everybody's saying DMT is like 100x stronger than LSD. I don't know if I want to go any further than that place I was on LSD. I mean, it's beautiful but 100x MORE INTENSE? Really? Like you are not able to see the room you are actually in? Like that crazy? You do not understand anything anyone says or does?

There are obvious comparisons between LSD and DMT but to say one is objectively "100 times" more intense than the other is misleading. DMT is very intense, but it still depends on the same criteria as LSD (or any other drug), i.e., dose, set, setting, etc. That being said, it's entirely possible to enter a state on DMT like you described where you're unable to see the room around you or understand others' actions, but these things are not so important if you're adequately prepared for the experience. I'd recommend finding as much information as possible about DMT, read some trip reports on here and Erowid and if you're still interested, then go for it.

I've never tried DMT but I can't imagine it being that much different from high-dose DPT or 4-substituted tryptamines.

LSD is a highly unique psychedelic. I can't imagine anything other than the other lysergamides (AL-LAD, ALD-52) feeling similar.
It's not perfect but it gives me the most mindblowing and convincing visual effects out of any psychedelic I've ever tried. I've seen wet footpaths turn into streams of running water and venetian blinds breathing and twisting as if they were living objects. I've seen environmental concentric circles (like THIS).

For me, LSD causes a lot more visual distortion (i.e. objects warping, morphing, breathing) than any of the other psychedelics I've tried; which I find to be more colorful, superficial and 'alien'.
DPT is extremely visual... I see alien-like beings and everything I look at is covered in threads and patterns. It's ridiculously intense and euphoric in its own way, but it's much different visually and physically to LSD.

LSD also makes me feel really sweet, joyful and silly. The LSD experience is a state of pure, natural happiness.
DPT is bliss but it's a very 'rude' drug by comparison. It hits me like a brick and turns me into a dribbling mess. The euphoria is very sexual and feels somewhat forced. DMT is most likely going to be more similar to DPT than LSD in its effects.

To say anything is "100 times more intense" than LSD is misleading and absurd. It's not something many people have done, but I'm pretty sure an LSD 'thumbprint' (which is tens or possibly hundreds of milligrams) will blow any DMT experience right out of the water.

The intensity of the drug is usually just a matter of getting the dose right. You can make DMT as intense or not intense as you like by taking more or less. That's orally I'm talking - I don't do smoked DMT so I can't help you there.

As for comparisons with LSD - it's just as beautiful only with it's own unique character. The only problem with oral DMT is the nausea.

I've never tried DMT but I can't imagine it being that much different from high-dose DPT or 4-substituted tryptamines.

idk, I feel like DMT's uniqueness from DPT and 4-subs comes from it's tendency to actually be quite gentle on the mind, at least in my experiences with the drug, even in breakthrough doses, I've really only had 1 experience where I was uncomfortable at any point, and it was over something not even psychological, it was because of my heart rate, which in retrospect was kinda ridiculous because you can't die from taking DMT as far as I know, and I couldn't even really tell just how fast my heart was, as I was in an extremely heightened state of mind.

The onset of smoked DMT is definitely one of the factors when taking the intensity into consideration. With LSD you have 45 minutes to an hour before the trip takes hold, and then another hour or so until the peak hits. All the while the effects are slowly compounding. With smoked DMT there is litte to no comeup, you are suddenly just 'there'.

I think LSD would be much more disorienting if you were suddenly dropped right into the middle of a trip- which is sort of what smoked DMT is like. Many of my smoked DMT experiences have been fairly mild but the couple where i managed to get smoking technique right and enter a breakthrough experience were completely immersive- i wouldn't have known if someone was trying to talk to me and i would have been completely unable to move.

With lower dose LSD it is (generally) possible to retain some sense of what is happening around you and where the world is. As someone mentioned earlier LSD tends to distort the available visual information around you, like an overlay of patterns and images. DMT is less a distortion rather than a complete takeover of these senses.

Having said all of that, i believe that it's also simply an apples and oranges issue. They're both fruit but very different flavours and textures. The only common ground is that DMT and LSD are both psychedelics.

Everything i've said is in relation to smoked, i have not tried oral DMT and it could well be more similar to LSD in terms of onset etc.

idk, I feel like DMT's uniqueness from DPT and 4-subs comes from it's tendency to actually be quite gentle on the mind, at least in my experiences with the drug, even in breakthrough doses, I've really only had 1 experience where I was uncomfortable at any point, and it was over something not even psychological, it was because of my heart rate, which in retrospect was kinda ridiculous because you can't die from taking DMT as far as I know, and I couldn't even really tell just how fast my heart was, as I was in an extremely heightened state of mind.
Man I really need to try this stuff some day.
I really can't be bothered smoking it or taking it orally though... I'd much rather IV or IM it. I've never injected anything before but it seems like the way to go with this stuff.

Man I really need to try this stuff some day.
I really can't be bothered smoking it or taking it orally though... I'd much rather IV or IM it. I've never injected anything before but it seems like the way to go with this stuff.

Well, I wouldn't go right ahead IV'ing massive doses, and I noticed you didn't bold the part of my post that said "as far as I know"which is important to point out because I'm sure there is a lethal dose of DMT, especially with intravenous administration. I'd reccomend smoking, or keeping IV doses at <60mg

Last edited:
I had my first breakthrough DMT trip a couple of years ago. And this comes after 20 years of fairly consistent use of psychedelics of all sorts. I've had mystical experiences and even on a handful of occasions taken too much of a certain drug (2ce, 4-Aco-DMT, 2C-T-2) in which the visuals were so strong that I couldn't walk more than a few feet before realizing that I really couldn't see well enough for even such a simple task. That having been said, the first time I broke through on DMT, I thought to myself, "oh, this is on a completely difference level. I had never been transported to a another dimension that were inhabited with strange interactive creatures in any of my previous trips. It made me feel like I had never "really" tripped before. That being said, I don't really like the experience that much. I'm honestly scared of it. I get anxiety while I'm doing it, it's just such a crazy ride. Actually, some DMT experiences have been amazingly amazing, but others have been almost too much for me. DMT is something else.

Well, I wouldn't go right ahead IV'ing massive doses, and I noticed you didn't bold the part of my post that said "as far as I know"which is important to point out because I'm sure there is a lethal dose of DMT, especially with intravenous administration. I'd reccomend smoking, or keeping IV doses at <60mg
I'm pretty sure the LD50 of DMT would be pretty damn high by any ROA. And I hate to brag but I am somewhat of a psychedelic hardhead.
I'm the type of guy who uses fairly strong doses of DOM and sometimes even LSD as pre-workout supplements for powerlifting sessions. I've swallowed upwards of 50mg 2C-E just for the hell of it. I won't even bother snorting less than 100mg of DPT.
I have a lot of respect my body but I wouldn't think twice about slamming 50mg+ DMT. Every time I stick to recommended first-time doses I get disappointed. I've been overwhelmed no end of times but it never bothers me. For me, too much is better than too little when it comes to tripping.

LSD and DMT do not have much in common really, to be honest, other than they are both psychedelic drugs.