• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DIY Acetone distillation

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston red

Bluelighter
This isn't really a subject for bdd, but I'm putting it over here regardless for more exposure, preferably from someone that knows his chemistry.

So, here's the thing. There's no available source of high concentrated acetone where I'm from so I decided to make my own via distillation. I didn't have a retort so I used a glass bottle instead, to which I connected a butyl bicycle camera (I checked that butyl is for all intents and purposes the only type of rubber to resist acetone well) and a hose passing through a cold water vessel at the other end to condense the acetone vapor passing through the "hose". I guess you should know already how distillation works and should form an idea. I heated the bottle to around 70-80 Celsius. Now, there was some white stuff through the interior of the camera, which I simply forgot to clean up before use. This came out in the acetone at the other end, and I don't know if any of it might of dissolved. The solution I obtained has a yellow tinge to it but is remarkably clear after filtering, also it tends to leave an ominous rubbery smell to any container it's been stored in. I've checked of weather or not it leaves traces and it apparently doesn't.

Now, what I want to use this for is clean off codeine containing tablets of soluble aspirin and paracetamol, since aspirin and apap should dissolve in acetone, but not codeine. I've checked out some data sheets on butyl and it seems pretty safe. Now, I don't really want to go through the whole process again, especially as my yellow-ish acetone is clear. Do you have any idea if it's safe or not? I suspect the yellow color comes from a resin based glue I used to seal the camera to the bottle. Needless to say, if I see any traces of anything odd in the gunk I'll be left with after dissolving the pills in acetone, I'm gonna throw it away.

Thanks in advance!

Hey buddy, unfortunately, you're right in that this is not really appropriate material for Basic Drug Discussion. You would probably have better luck doing your own research anyway. We just don't handle anything under the umbrella of synthesis or chemical reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.