• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

"Disturbing" study finds 19 percent of teens drive after using marijuana

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Is driving under the influence of marijuana less dangerous than driving drunk? Nobody knows for sure, but a new survey suggests a lot of teens seem to believe it.

The survey of 2,300 eleventh and twelfth graders - by Liberty Mutual Insurance and Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) - found more than one-third of teens who have driven after using marijuana say the drug doesn't distract them from driving. What's more, one in five teens admitted to driving high.

How does that compare with teen rates of drunk driving? The survey found 13 percent of teens said they had got behind the wheel after drinking, while 19 percent did not consider drinking a major distraction.

"Marijuana affects memory, judgment, and perception and can lead to poor decisions when a teen under the influence of this or other drugs gets behind the wheel of a car," Stephen Wallace, senior advisor for policy, research, and education at SADD, said in a written statement. "What keeps me up at night is that this data reflects a dangerous trend toward the acceptance of marijuana and other substances compared to our study of teens conducted just two years ago."

cont at
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...percent-of-teens-drive-after-using-marijuana/

Im much more concerned about a drunk driver then a stoned driver. In my life I have never known anyone who crashed while stoned on the other hand when I was in high school alot of my friends crashed while they were drunk. Drinking just causes people to take absurd risks on the roads.

"What keeps me up at night is that this data reflects a dangerous trend toward the acceptance of marijuana and other substances compared to our study of teens conducted just two years ago."

Funny that makes me sleep easier.

People I am with normally drive like their tires will blow if they go to fast. LMAO

I don't think 50mph in a 70mph in the "slow lane" is very dangerous. As apposed to the drunk driver going 120mph on the highway blazing past everyone swerving through traffic...

I would like to know how many people speed while high as apposed to drinking? I'm thinking very few.

when im driving high i notice how everyone else is driving with a cell phone in their hand and almost causing wrecks

I think there is a difference between driving while non-tolerant to the substance and driving while tolerant. After a while, with tolerance, the psychedelia of the high goes away. I wouldn't get into a car with someone non-tolerant just as I wouldn't with someone who is drunk.

Still. I don't think anyone should be driving under the influence, if you take valium, you should also take a bus, I don't give a fuck if you have been on it for 20 years. Get a gold pass bitch.
With pot, I have always said that I will NEVER drive stoned (If I ever get my license*stoner*) If I accidentally kill someone, I want to be as sober as the day is long. I want myself to blame and my own ignorance NOT something as innocent as a joint (which is best experienced in a backyard and not the freeway anyhow)
Driving drunk is different to me. I think that is absolutely inexcusable. If you MAY have a need to use your car within a few hours, you shouldn't drink.
This is a harm reduction site (so to speak) so I found it kind of odd for you all to be nonchalant about driving under the influence of any intoxicant. Fuck, I have almost bumped into polls listening to headphones, stoned and walking up the street. No big deal of course, but if I were driving, who is to say that I couldn't have hurt someone because of that lapse or getting too into a song. (pot, car stereo, makes sense)
Harm reduction is to reduce the chance of harm to yourself and others wherever you can. Driving stoned does not do that. I don't care if you smoke a pound of OG a month and your tolerance is ridiculous, it isn't safe and it is irresponsible!
$0.02

I always drive high, how am I supposed to get around the place and be high at the same time?!?!

Been on many blunt rides. I love blunt rides.... No, not me driving but my friends. Also my friends (older friends in their 20' and late) drive on heroin... I think that's worse than a blunt ride tbh.

driving while doing drugs is retarded.

dangerous driving is bad, regardless of whats in your blood.

BLah, blah, blah....

There are people who still drive normal on highs from many different types of drugs.