Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Distinguishing AMT from DMT

Listening

Bluelighter
Ok, this is highly embarrassing, but here goes:

A few years ago I extracted some DMT and stored it away in the freezer. I stored it in zip-lock baggies, in the same jar where I was storing a bag of AMT. This jar is separate from my other stuff, just for DMT and AMT, to avoid stinking up anything else.

Somehow, neither bag is labelled. (I know, I know. The AMT was in the jar first; my theory is that I stuffed the DMT in there, not remembering that the AMT bag was also unlabeled.)

Anyway, what's the easiest way to distinguish between these without bio-assaying? Reagent? Something else?

Thanks.

I believe AMT dissolves in water while DMT doesn't?

Also I think DMT vaporises much quicker and cleaner than AMT does so you could try that.
(Talking about freebase as that's what i have experience with.)

Marquis: aMT Yellow - Brown, DMT Yellow > Green > Brown

Mecke: aMT Brown, DMT Yellow > Green/Black

So yeah, Mecke is the way to go.

Burn some on foil. The DMT will smell a bit like shit (Literally not figuratively). 10mg of AMT smoked will produce effects I think so probably not the best test.

Last edited:
I believe AMT dissolves in water while DMT doesn't?

Also I think DMT vaporises much quicker and cleaner than AMT does so you could try that.
(Talking about freebase as that's what i have experience with.)

amt freebase doesn't dissolve in water (and is the most common form it comes in), so this probably isn't the best way of distinguishing them.

AMT as far as I'm aware should have a more potent smell, although the reagent tests suggested by others seem like the safest way of going about this.

amt freebase doesn't dissolve in water (and is the most common form it comes in), so this probably isn't the best way of distinguishing them.

Erowid agrees with you, & I was indeed wrong. I made 'solutions' of aMT in distilled water before, that I guess were in reality mixes.
I just mixed 10mg in a shotglass to see for myself (a bit of an exercise in futility) and it *looks like* it dissolves, I guess the particles are just very small?.

Anyway yeah, reagent tests are the way to go. I have to add that my amt came in an off-white, bit plastery/ chalky appearance that I could never mistake for the more orange/ yellowish (especially over time) and sticky dmt but I guess the looks of these chemicals differ from batch to batch.

Erowid agrees with you, & I was indeed wrong. I made 'solutions' of aMT in distilled water before, that I guess were in reality mixes.
I just mixed 10mg in a shotglass to see for myself (a bit of an exercise in futility) and it *looks like* it dissolves, I guess the particles are just very small?.

Is it possible that you have the HCl?

Anyway yeah, reagent tests are the way to go. I have to add that my amt came in an off-white, bit plastery/ chalky appearance that I could never mistake for the more orange/ yellowish (especially over time) and sticky dmt but I guess the looks of these chemicals differ from batch to batch.

My AMT was yellow-orange. Very similar in appearance to DMT.

Burn a little bit. AMT smells just like a porto-potty and the smoke is a hell of a lot harsher IME.

My question has been answered. I hereby bequeath to you this thread.

... Thank you my Liege ... (insert humble bow) ...

But for now, regardless if I have fb aMT or HCl, I took 30mg of it three hours ago and I'm getting restless so I'm going to close this laptop and jump on my bicycle :)

Solubility in water will only tell you if you have freebase or salt, and smell will only be useful if you know for sure what DMT and aMT both smell like and they are both freebase.

DMT is almost always the freebase and it can be verified by melting it in warm to hot water (DMT freebase melts at like 50-60C IIRC)

Of course the answer is to reagent test. But both AMT and DMT also smell very distinct. Both are very pungent, but AMT smells much nastier than DMT, like chemical fertilizer mixed with shit, sort of. DMT smells nice, to me anyway, it's more incense-like.

The problem with AMT is that it seems to contaminate things with its odour. DMT and AMT smell similar, though AMT is WAAAAAY more (literally) indolent then DMT. But I had a gram of AMT stored with some 2C-x's and they all ended up smelling like AMT.

I had a similar incident where I mixed up 2 labelled identical bags, one of sythetic DMT and one of 5-MeO-DMT; I had foolishly used cheap stickers on the outside of the bag, as opposed to writing on the bag or using some other more durable identifier. Both stickers came off in the freezer. I had ~200mg of each. I decided to bioassay, so I smoked 5mg of (thankfully I guess) DMT. I would really urge people not to do this. Always label twice IMO...:)