• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Distance Learning?

Crampz

Bluelighter
Hi

I am pretty much unemployable at the moment due to dropping out of university etc several years ago.

I was considering taking some distance learning courses and possibly studying with the open university (its a British thing).

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? How difficult is it in comparison to being in a regular university?

Thanks

Crampz

Hey Crampz. Believe it or not, I have been exactly where you are. I dropped out of of college with a semester and a half left to graduate. It took me 8 years with periods of unemployment and time working shit jobs to finally realize I needed to finish what I started. In fact, since I attended college in a different state from where I was living at the time, I took a distance learning course in order to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in interdisciplinary studies.

The course I took was writing intensive, so please take that into consideration. IIRC I had 9 months to complete the course. However, the course had as many assignments as a normal 4.5 month semester. Therefore I was able to take my time and did not have to worry about the same types of incremental deadlines that a brick and mortar class has. When I say incremental deadlines, I mean specific dates throughout the semester in which assignments are due. I was able to turn assignments in at my leisure. However, keep in mind that I have mild ADD and sometimes like to procrastinate. So I would be careful not to wait until the last minute to complete all the assignments. I think it only took me a few weeks to run through all the assignments but it was to turn everything in at the last minute because I fucked off too much. If I were to do it again, I would finish all the assignments as early as possible. All the correspondence between my professor and me took place over email.

Difficulty is subjective. Distance learning can be a great way to get your education if that is the way you want to go. My opinion is that potential employers will often be open-minded about hiring people with distance learning Bachelor's degrees. However, if you want to take it to the next level, i.e. graduate school for a Masters or Doctorate, then brick and mortar university is prolly still the better option.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Also have taken a few university online courses, and speaking from experience:

If you are not motivated, think the subject is boring, would rather hang out with friends, browse the internet, etc.... you WILL end up with poor marks.

Try your best to get all your assignments done ahead of time. Life gets in the way... work, friends, sickness,

And just because it's online, doesn't mean you shouldn't take it as seriously. Treat it like as if you were in a regular classroom.

Having dropped out of university doesn't always make you unemployable.

Anyways, I admire people who do online classes. It takes tremendous discipline to study outside of the confines of a classroom, at your own leisure. Just make sure the school is accredited. :)

^ if I wasnt drinking a bottle of vodka a day then I wouldn't have dropped out.

Hey Crampz. Believe it or not, I have been exactly where you are. I dropped out of of college with a semester and a half left to graduate. It took me 8 years with periods of unemployment and time working shit jobs to finally realize I needed to finish what I started. In fact, since I attended college in a different state from where I was living at the time, I took a distance learning course in order to graduate with a Bachelor's degree in interdisciplinary studies.

The course I took was writing intensive, so please take that into consideration. IIRC I had 9 months to complete the course. However, the course had as many assignments as a normal 4.5 month semester. Therefore I was able to take my time and did not have to worry about the same types of incremental deadlines that a brick and mortar class has. When I say incremental deadlines, I mean specific dates throughout the semester in which assignments are due. I was able to turn assignments in at my leisure. However, keep in mind that I have mild ADD and sometimes like to procrastinate. So I would be careful not to wait until the last minute to complete all the assignments. I think it only took me a few weeks to run through all the assignments but it was to turn everything in at the last minute because I fucked off too much. If I were to do it again, I would finish all the assignments as early as possible. All the correspondence between my professor and me took place over email.

Difficulty is subjective. Distance learning can be a great way to get your education if that is the way you want to go. My opinion is that potential employers will often be open-minded about hiring people with distance learning Bachelor's degrees. However, if you want to take it to the next level, i.e. graduate school for a Masters or Doctorate, then brick and mortar university is prolly still the better option.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks for this, very encouraging! :)

^ if I wasnt drinking a bottle of vodka a day then I wouldn't have dropped out.
If you believe that you can do it, do it. I was just saying that online courses are not a walk in the park because you need to have crazy motivation.

^ yeah, that's true.. I tried distance learnng, but it didn't work very well for me. But lots of good UK universities offer distance learning programmes - in some cases you can then switch to 'regular' courses if your good enough in your freshman year. Most (maybe all) also offer study weekends, seminars and so on and so forth, so you can meet someone, study with other people, etc.

What subject would you like to study? I believe that a few subject aren't offered as distance-learning courses (I'm thinking of biology, chemistry and other subjects that require a bit of lab experience), and probably also studying foreign languages online is not the best idea.