• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Dissociatives to find relief of RLS and akathisia

crOOk

Bluelighter
Hey-ho fellow bluelighters!

My wife has a mild case of RLS that becomes symptomatic every few months or so. I experience akathisia from neuroleptics (which I am not currently on) and on the comedown of serotonin releasers.

It's absolutely agonizing, but I've always managed to keep my shit together. My wife however suffers immensely during those relatively rare events.

I am a big fan of dissociatives, she is not. She fucking hates them. One saturday night about a year ago when it was really bad she asked me if there's really nothing she could take to find relief. Since the only opioidergic drug we had was tramadol which has the potential to make things much worse due to it's SNRI action, I suggested 2-Oxo-PCE. I am not sure if I really believed it could make a difference or if I was looking for an excuse to dose the substance myself, but she was desperate enough to try it. If you have never experienced either akathisia or RLS, rest assured that it can be hell on earth. Maybe I thought the only thing that could help her was being knocked out. It was agonizing to watch her suffer.

Within minutes after the first dose she experienced full symptom relief while feeling only very slightly intoxicated (to a degree that would not fuck with her motor skills, but enough for her not to drive a car).

Ever since then we have been using small dissociative doses (Ketamine or 2-Oxo-PCE) whenever either of us experiences said symptoms. If anyone here suffers from a bad case of RLS you might want to give low-end inebriating dissociative doses a try. You will not remain fully functional, but since RLS has a tendency to manifest in the late evening it could be an option.

It' not a solution, it's laden with severe side effects if you dislike dissociatives, but it will bring relief from the symptoms and there is no rebound like there is when opiates are used. I know there are many people out there who have no medication whatsoever that allows them to find shelter from these god awful sensations, so I thought it may be worth a try for those poor bastards among you.

S-Ketamine seems best suited for the job, since it's psychedelic effects are almost non-existant, it's duration of action is very short and it will not fuck with your sleep as bad as other substances from this class of drugs.

Interesting!

Of course it is sad, that both of you had/have to go through this to
find out.
I (luckily) don't have RLS or something similar, but I know the symptoms from opiate-withdrawal.
And yes, I can attest that certain dissociatives can help tremendously with these symptoms!

I didn't find DXM to help with RLS when kicking heroin really at all. I could totally see other dissociatives helping though. Cool experiment OP!

What doses have you two been experimenting with PCE and ketamine? At some point I want to research low dose PC_ dissociatives again, but given my current situation it's far from a priority.

very interesting cr00k!
and sorry to hear about your wife's RLS, sounds like a nightmare. ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

This is really interesting! I suffer from RLS. I can be fine for months then out of the blue the symptoms set in, sometimes for just a couple days, other times the symptoms have lasted a couple weeks. 4 years ago when I started having symptoms from RLS I started taking a magnesium supplement. The magnesium worked well for years, but over the last year have completely stopped working for me.

My last flare up lasted over a week and was agonizing. I found myself eating copious amounts of benedryl to try and knock myself out only to be still awake, ridiculously groggy, and extremely pissed off.

I'm not a huge fan of ketamine. I tried it many many years ago and hated the way it made me feel, but at this point I'm down to try anything. I can't keep going for days without sleep, it just adds to the misery of the symptoms.

How low of a dose are you talking about? My husband is prescribed 100mg ketamine capsules for his chronic pain. He doesn't take them often but we continue to get them filled so we have a plethora.

very interesting cr00k!
and sorry to hear about your wife's RLS, sounds like a nightmare. ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
Thank's for your sympathy. Like GingerKitty she only experiences episodes at a low frequency and can be fine for months.

My last flare up lasted over a week and was agonizing. I found myself eating copious amounts of benedryl to try and knock myself out only to be still awake, ridiculously groggy, and extremely pissed off.
My wife does the exact same thing and I have a strong suspicion that the antihistamines exacerbated her symptoms both acutely and sub-acutely with the former being overshadowed by sleep due to the hypnotic effects of this type of antihistamines.

I'm not a huge fan of ketamine. I tried it many many years ago and hated the way it made me feel, but at this point I'm down to try anything. I can't keep going for days without sleep, it just adds to the misery of the symptoms.
As mentioned in the OP this, too, applies to her. She hates the feeling to the point where she is scared of it.

How low of a dose are you talking about? My husband is prescribed 100mg ketamine capsules for his chronic pain. He doesn't take them often but we continue to get them filled so we have a plethora.
Alas she doses high enough for slightly above threshold psychedelic effects to kick in, where double vision or slight motor skill impairment will usually manifest.. :/
She has had full breakthrough doses of both 2-Oxo-PCE and ketamine as well and this obviously helped, too.

Since I researched the phenomenom I stumbled across a publication that observed symptom attenuation after ketamine administration. These studies used oral ketamine, so psychedelic effects will be less pronounced :/
I am not sure whether the isolated s-isomer or racemic ketamine was used in the study. You can check the full text pdf versions of the article and comment yourself here:

http://sci-hub.cc/10.1213/00000539-200206000-00034
http://sci-hub.cc/10.1213/01.ane.0000048364.63828.0a